Author Topic: Haiku  (Read 55 times)

Offline fox

• Posting Member
Haiku
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:00:21 am »
I was interested in this OS as the successor to BeOS, which some of you might remember almost became the Mac OS. It has been in beta for years. At any rate, there is a nice YouTube review of the most recent verson here, showing that it has come a long way. It has a lot farther to go before it can be a regular driver for anyone (for example, wifi doesn't seem to work yet), but if you have a half-hour to burn, it's worth watching this review. You can actually get Haiku here if you want to try it out. You probably wouldn't want to install it though, because, if I remember correctly, the only option is to take over your whole disk. It does have some neat features, though.
Ubuntu 20.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
Re: Haiku
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:19:17 pm »
I remember trying out BeOS. One of its big features at the time was that they claimed it had better performance than Windows. They showed in a demo running multiple videos at a time using commodity PC hardware. I thought it was cool looking but never really did anything with it.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata