• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX Linux on a Raspberry Pi

Started by fox, February 06, 2021, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

This YouTube video provides a nice review of MX Linux for the RPi. The distro is currently in beta, but appears to be quite good and very responsive. Note that it is 32 bit, which runs on a 64 bit Pi as well. The author demos it with an overclocked RPi 4, but it appears to be as responsive as Raspberry Pi OS.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

It's quite an informative video showing off the features of MX Linux. I disagree with him on how well it handles YouTube at full-screen. It might not be dropping frames much but there was a fair bit of tearing going on there even at 720 resolution. Otherwise, it looks as smooth as my i3 1.3 GHz laptop. No doubt the 8 GB of RAM helps here. I saw that in a program that showed his specs. He also has the processor overclocked and that's one hell of a heatsink! He didn't say but I saw in the picture that he was using a USB drive, presumably USB 3?

The specs also showed that it used Fluxbox. I haven't seen a distro using Fluxbox since the 1990s. That's not a bad thing. It's very light. This window manager was used from a time before KDE (it was called that then) and GNOME. IceWM, Enlightenment (not anything like Enlightenment today) and NextStep. Sorry, had to take the offramp to memory lane there.

I wonder how well it would perform on the RPi 3. Perhaps I'll give it a try sometime and report back.

Thanks for the share, Fox.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13