• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

How are you sending out emails?

Started by William, February 04, 2021, 11:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William

While back, pop.mail.yahoo.ca was rejecting my login.  But, I generated "app password" on Yahoo site and got Fetchmail working again.   Now, smtp.mail.yahoo.ca, which handles my outgoing emails, is rejecting my connection.  So, I can download emails on command line but can't send out on command line.  So, I'm half-dead, right now.

This brings up a question... How do you guys send out emails?

I tried Thunderbird, and it works both ways.  But, it's not much different from web! 

ssfc72

Hello William.  I use the Thunderbird email client on my Mint 19 notebook computer and I have 3 different yahoo.com/yahoo.ca email accounts.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

And, how is it different from using Yahoo's website?  I mean, in terms of workflow.

The only advantage I see is automatically logging into 3 different accounts.  With websites, you have to log in semi-manually (user and password are filled in by Firefox), then click "Mail".  So, 2 extra mouse clicks.

fox

I have no idea how Yahoo mail works since I don't use it. I have an Office 365 account from work. I use Thunderbird from Ubuntu to send out and receive email. I also have a gmail home account and I send and receive mail from Firefox on that one. On my Mac side, I use either Apple mail or Outlook to send and receive mail.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

What is it that you're looking for, in particular, William? What I mean is how do you want your email workflow to work? Are you looking for the least clicks possible?

In regards to me, I use Gmail (webmail interface) and Tutanota (local client) for my own domain address.

Btw, kudos to you for using email from the command-line. It's not something I'd do but it's an interesting choice. Why do you prefer it on the command-line? Just wondering if there is an advantage other than it being cool which, for us geeks, might be enough. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Well I have many email address, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc, so with Thunderbird email client, it is 1 click to boot up Thunderbird to gather up all my email messages. :-)

Quote from: William on February 05, 2021, 02:18:04 AM
And, how is it different from using Yahoo's website?  I mean, in terms of workflow.

The only advantage I see is automatically logging into 3 different accounts.  With websites, you have to log in semi-manually (user and password are filled in by Firefox), then click "Mail".  So, 2 extra mouse clicks.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 05, 2021, 09:12:36 PM
Well I have many email address, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc, so with Thunderbird email client, it is 1 click to boot up Thunderbird to gather up all my email messages. :-)

I've been using Thunderbird for 2 days now.  It's okay.  I miss my Vim editor, though.

One question... Thunderbird's font is too small.  Is there any way to make it bigger.  On the main viewing area, I can <ctrl-plus>, <ctrl-minus>,or <ctrl-mouse-wheel> to change the font.  But, other labels are too small.

ssfc72

The version of Thunderbird that is on my Mint 19, is 1:18.10

Here is a Link to one solution -  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1297871         This worked for me.

I found that on the Thunderbird that I have, just to the left of the Search bar, is the hamburg icon.  Click on that and you can drill down and get to the Font changes. Trouble is, I make the change to the Font size and it does nothing?? :-(

William

Thanks Bill.  Not a perfect solution, but that will do. 

fox

I haven't been able to change the font size in Thunderbird either. If anyone finds a solution, please post.

Jason

I didn't realize there was a font issue with Thunderbird. That would preclude me from using it as I need larger fonts with everything unless I use a magnifying glass.

I'm also curious, Bill, you can get your Yahoo mail via Thunderbird? Do they have a POP3/IMAP server without having to pay for the premium edition? Maybe I'm just stuck back in the 2000s when you needed one to get that feature.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

You can magnify the text in messages - ctrl +. The menus are the problem.

ssfc72

Thanks for that tip, Mike.   I usually am looking at my Thunderbird email, on a 22 inch monitor, so I don't notice any problem with the font sizes. :-)
I will have to test it out on my notebook computer screen (Dell XPS 13" )

Jason

Quote from: fox on February 06, 2021, 12:47:42 PM
You can magnify the text in messages - ctrl +. The menus are the problem.

Yeah, I realize. William mentioned that. But not being able to see the menus would be an issue, too. But it doesn't really matter. I don't expect to use Thunderbird, at least not now.

ssfc72

Yes, I have always used POP3 to get my yahoo email, using Thunderbird.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 06, 2021, 11:01:40 AM
I didn't realize there was a font issue with Thunderbird. That would preclude me from using it as I need larger fonts with everything unless I use a magnifying glass.

I'm also curious, Bill, you can get your Yahoo mail via Thunderbird? Do they have a POP3/IMAP server without having to pay for the premium edition? Maybe I'm just stuck back in the 2000s when you needed one to get that feature.