• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Desktop interference - KDE Neon on Unity in Ubuntu

Started by fox, January 19, 2017, 04:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I posted an earlier thread on the KDE Neon desktop, which I installed in vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. After working with it for a few days, I decided I like some of the KDE Neon features and would like to switch off between Unity and Neon just for variety. Unfortunately, I have run into two minor problems, one more annoying than the other. The one I can ignore if I have to is that the splash screen has now changed from Ubuntu to Kubuntu, regardless of which desktop I run. It would be nice to have the screen for the desktop I am using running all the time, or bar that, have a Ubuntu splash screen running all the time. How to fix this?

The more annoying feature is that kwallet asks me for a password every time I run the Unity desktop. How do I prevent that without sabotaging the Neon desktop?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I believe if you have just click ok on the wallet without a password when kwallet comes up, it will stop coming up in the future. But I'm going by memory here. Probably best to just google it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

The answer was to start the kwalletmanager, go to settings, and uncheck the kwallet enable box. The only problem is that once this is done, some things don't work on the KDE side. Kmail does and so does korganizer, but not kcontact. The other side benefit of doing this is I stopped get korgac error messages when using the KDE Neon desktop.

As for changing the splashscreen back to Ubuntu, I found a terminal command that accesses the plymouth splashscreen settings and allows you to choose which one. I think that whatever you choose is using in both Unity and KDE; at least that's what happened to me.

However, there are still little annoyances when switching from one desktop to the other, a crash from the other side here, a request for a password there. Maybe this is because I'm using the latest KDE from the ppa (5.8.4), but that is supposed to be the LTS version. I do wonder how these would work together if I just used the regular Kubuntu desktop packages from Ubuntu 16.10 instead of the Kubuntu Neon ppa.

fox

So I finally installed Plasma on top of Ubuntu 16.04 on my home Mac mini. I have to say that I enjoyed using it, but as in other instances where I tried this, it created a few problems. One it created that it hadn't before is it made my statistical software (JMP) stop working altogether; it wouldn't start up. Trying to start it in a terminal showed me that it was missing an i386 library (it's an old program). I found the library in the Debian repos and installed it. The program worked again, but the installation broke something else - showed up as broken packages when running Synaptic. Fixing those packages broke JMP again, and try as I might, there was no easy solution. So I decided to upgrade my installation to 16.10 and when I went to do this, it offered to upgrade to "Kubuntu 16.01". That was the last straw. I removed every Kubuntu/Plasma package I could find and then upgraded to Ubuntu 16.10. Installing the i386 library after the upgrade fixed JMP, and this time without breaking any packages. Now my only flaw seems to be that the gnome-contacts keeps asking me for a Google password to store, but supplying it doesn't stop it from continuing to request this. I was eventually able to fix this.

Meanwhile, I'm debating about installing Plasma again now that I'm on 16.10; it works with only one minor annoyance on another computer at school and it didn't stop my JMP software from working. I did enjoy playing with Plasma while I had it at home.