• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

High ISP prices - Be heard before it is too late.

Started by ssfc72, January 31, 2021, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Here is a Link to a very short Form, that you can have sent to your local MP and the PM, about the high cost of Canadian internet services (ISP).  The web site gives details on what the issue is.

Be heard before itââ,¬â,,¢s too late!
The CRTC is deciding the future of internet prices NOW!

https://paylesstoconnect.ca/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I'll definitely sign the petition although I wish the email text could be edited. It's too easy for representatives to ignore form letters or at least sort them when it's the same text.

I noticed, as I'm sure you have too, Bill, that Carrytel is raising its rates partly because of this decision, so they say. That, and the increased use of broadband since so many people are stuck home.

I went to take a look at Start's offering because before I left them I thought they were $45/month(+$5 rent for an optional modem) when Carrytel was $30 (no extra modem rental fee). Now Carrytel is at $40 after two increases in a year but Start is now $55 for the same plan. So I'm wondering if Start increased prices for existing customers $10 or just new customers.

So I'm curious, have members had their Internet rates increased since the pandemic began? Or in the last year?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I saw that Carrytel had raised their internet prices on their web page. I have not had any email from them, saying that they were raising my monthly price, yet.

Start.ca had raised their internet prices by $5, for my service before the COVID had occurred, last year. For the 40 MB service I was paying $60/month, which included the tax.
I was looking at their web site a few weeks ago and they were not taking any new customers because they did not have any modems, to provide.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I wonder why Start raised their prices. I was with them several years before that and they never did. In fact, at one point, they upped the speed - for no extra charge. I think it had been 30 Mbps when I started with them and they upped it to 40 Mbps. It was $45/month then plus $5 to rent their modem for me since I didn't have one. But I think for new people it was $55/month. Is that why you left Start for Carrytel?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

With Start.ca, I bought the modem, so I didn't have to pay a rental fee.  When I first signed with Start.ca, I was paying $50/month plus taxes. They then raised their price $5/month , so that I was then paying $55 plus tax ($60/month).
Carrytel was providing the same 40 Mbs download speed, for $40/month (tax included), so I obviously decided to switch ISP.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 02, 2021, 07:08:59 PM
With Start.ca, I bought the modem, so I didn't have to pay a rental fee.  When I first signed with Start.ca, I was paying $50/month plus taxes. They then raised their price $5/month , so that I was then paying $55 plus tax ($60/month).
Carrytel was providing the same 40 Mbs download speed, for $39/month plus taxes, so I obviously decided to switch ISP.

When I started with Carrytel it was $30/year and then they increased in late Spring/early Summer $5/month and then announced an increase starting this month for $5, so now $40 total. Since you recently joined I think they started charging you the $40 already so that's probably why you haven't received notice of a price increase. Your package is already at that price.

Waiting for someone to chime in and let us know if their Internet costs have gone up in the last year, before or during the pandemic.

fox

Iââ,¬â,,¢m with Bell and my internet is in a package with TV and home phone. I havenââ,¬â,,¢t had a price increase during the pandemic that I know of.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Well, let's hope that we are locked in to a legacy pricing of $40/month (taxes included) because the current price, on the Carrytel website for Lindsay is now $50/month, for the 40 Mbs download service.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 02, 2021, 10:29:28 PM
When I started with Carrytel it was $30/year and then they increased in late Spring/early Summer $5/month and then announced an increase starting this month for $5, so now $40 total. Since you recently joined I think they started charging you the $40 already so that's probably why you haven't received notice of a price increase. Your package is already at that price.

Waiting for someone to chime in and let us know if their Internet costs have gone up in the last year, before or during the pandemic.

ssfc72

So I got an email reply from our Conservative MP, here in Lindsay.
He is not the brightess bulb in the pack.

He didn't understand that the email was about the CRTC decision, that was in favour of the Third Party internet providers.  The big 3 Canadian internet providers are trying legal action to overturn the CRTC decision, that would make the big 3 pay back, to the Third Party internet providers, the excessive fees that were charged.

His reply was instead, about providing internet service to rural customers.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 09, 2021, 09:08:24 AM
So I got an email reply from our Conservative MP, here in Lindsay.
He is not the brightess bulb in the pack.

That seems to be a common trait among Conservatives. Not saying that they all are just that they seem to have a large share of the guys saying things that show they're not knowledgeable about the topics they're discussing or just plain dumb. But not to derail this topic, would you be willing to share the email? I'm curious. So far the only thing I've received from our Liberal email is confirmation that I sent an email.

dougal

this is part of an email  from start.ca
With no end in sight, after 25 years of business without ever raising prices, we have regretfully been forced to make adjustments to some of our pricing while we wait for the CRTC's decision to be enforced.

We are providing you with 60 days notice that on November 1st, your internet service plan will be increasing from $50/month to $55/month.

ssfc72

I have sent you the email as a pm.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 09, 2021, 03:22:21 PM
That seems to be a common trait among Conservatives. Not saying that they all are just that they seem to have a large share of the guys saying things that show they're not knowledgeable about the topics they're discussing or just plain dumb. But not to derail this topic, would you be willing to share the email? I'm curious. So far the only thing I've received from our Liberal email is confirmation that I sent an email.