• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Distro support cycle and upgrading.

Started by ssfc72, January 28, 2021, 08:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I suppose that in order to upgrade from Mint 19 to Mint 20, that you have to install Mint 20 and start fresh, rather than just do an upgrade??  I am currently at Mint 19.1, so I suppose I would have to do a fresh install, if I needed to move to Mint 20?

I see that Mint 18 support ends in 2021.

As long as a Distro is working well for me, I don't see any need to do a Distro upgrade, for my purposes, so I tend to use a Distro until it's support ends.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Hi Bill. I've been upgrading the same Mint for years, and sometimes a 'fresh install' is needed. But I have a menu link to my Win10 laptop going way back in the Mint's history that I don't think I can replicate and don't want to lose. In my Mint menu is a Win10 button that I click and a big page opens, no password needed, to everything on my upstairs laptop.

If there is no easy upgrade available, I do a very special 'reinstall'. I assume you would have to do one step at a time. BUT I

1. Use the Mint tools to produce a bootable usb stick
2. Use the same partitions exactly, in my case /, /home/, /swap.
3. Use the exact same passwords,
3. I DO NOT FORMAT /home.

Program software needs to be reinstalled but the data for these programs will be sitting comfortably in /home.

Besides regular upgrades I have done this install-upgrade combo twice.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, for your tip.  I have copied the info and saved it as a txt file, for future reference.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

gmiller1977

You can apparently do an upgrade from 19.3 to 20.

Jason

I'm moved this to Support as it feels like a support question. Just an easily answered one. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13