• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Playing Volumio content on a remote computer

Started by fox, January 26, 2021, 11:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I installed Volumio on my RPi 4 and can access the dashboard from any of several computers running either Ubuntu or the MacOS. I enabled a bunch of radio station plugins, and was also able to access music files in the USB pendrive plugged into the Pi. Problem is that I couldn't get any sound out of my computers for anything I tried to play from the Volumio dashboard. I checked to make sure that sound was working by playing local files or youtube videos, and it was in all cases. I'm guessing that the problem has to do with sound configuration in Volumio, but I couldn't find any instructions on how to do this. The dashboard includes settings/playback options. The two output options were HDMI and headphones. Neither worked on either the Mac or Linux, but when I plugged my headphones into the Pi itself, I was getting output from the Pi. But does does one have to do to get the output from your remote computer?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 26, 2021, 11:41:30 AM
I couldn't get any sound out of my computers for anything I tried to play from the Volumio dashboard.

Is this how it's supposed to work, though? I had thought it was a media server which means you need a media player on the local computer that accesses that server. But my reply is coming from someone who doesn't have a clue how it's supposed to work. Are there docs for it?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Bill, do you play music or radio directly on the Volumnio device (e.g. RPi) or do you play it from another device using Volumnio as the source? I saw you guys talking about it in another thread. Did you figure it out, Fox?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 31, 2021, 08:04:33 AM
Bill, do you play music or radio directly on the Volumnio device (e.g. RPi) or do you play it from another device using Volumnio as the source? I saw you guys talking about it in another thread. Did you figure it out, Fox?
No, I did not figure it out. I assumed from Bill's comments that Volumnio isn't set to do that on a computer.

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 31, 2021, 10:43:51 AM
No, I did not figure it out. I assumed from Bill's comments that Volumnio isn't set to do that on a computer.

Hmm. I'm not sure. I understood the opposite from what Bill said but maybe I misunderstood. There is an app for it both for Apple and Android but maybe it's just configuring where it's installed as you say. That doesn't seem like much of a benefit honestly but I suppose accessing it from another device is like using a remote? Hopefully, Bill can chime in to help me understand if that's what he meant.

fox

I know that there are apps on iOS and Android that you can use to play your Volumnio music, but I am referring to playing it from another computer connected to your network.

ssfc72

I don't know anything about apps for running Volumio on an Android or Apple device.

I am went to the Volumio webpage and downloaded the program to install on the micro SD card of a RPi.  This turns the RPi into an Internet Radio and  the radio is controlled remotely from the browser of another device such as a cell phone or a tablet.  The music is played by speakers, attached to the RPi (Internet Radio). :-)

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 31, 2021, 01:57:23 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure. I understood the opposite from what Bill said but maybe I misunderstood. There is an app for it both for Apple and Android but maybe it's just configuring where it's installed as you say. That doesn't seem like much of a benefit honestly but I suppose accessing it from another device is like using a remote? Hopefully, Bill can chime in to help me understand if that's what he meant.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Okay, so Fox understood you correctly and I misinterpreted what you said. I had hoped it was a way to stream music to another computer for listening. Not that it's still not cool but not what I thought it was.