Linux & Android > Raspberry Pi & Single-Board Computers

A warning on use of BerryBoot for your RPi

<< < (2/2)

fox:
BerryBoot is both the bootloader and the installer, and it sets up the connection. The way it works is that you download the BerryBoot bootloader. (You can get it here, along with instructions.) You unzip it it and copy the files to your SD card. Put the card into your RPi and start it up. BerryBoot then does the rest of the setup on your card, and allows you to install any of several OSes, including Raspberry Pi OS or Raspberry Pi OS Lite. There are others that it is set to download directly, or if you have some downloaded in BerryBoot format and put onto a USB drive, you can install those. If you initially start it up the SD card (i.e. before installing anything) with the Ethernet cable plugged in, BB will have the wired interface available in any distro you install with it. Regardless of whether you set up wireless initially or not, wireless will be available in any distro you install in BerryBoot. But the reverse isn't true - if you initially start up BB running wifi with no Ethernet cable plugged in, you won't be able to add a wired interface later (at least I couldn't figure out how to do it or find instructions on how). This Ethernet thing seems to be unique to BerryBoot in that running a distro on an SD card not using the BB bootloader will allow you to connect with Ethernet regardless of how it was initially installed.

Jason:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought Berryboot's only feature over NOOBS was that you can multi-boot but this is an even better feature, IMHO. It reminds me of the approach that VMware takes with their Player. Tell it the distro and it does the rest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version