• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The new Mint upgrade can be found in the menu. Pretty smooth.

Started by buster, January 16, 2021, 07:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Software sources and many programs effortlessly changed. If you don't use Mint however, this is a pointless read. So there is no need for you to know that Mint is the best and easiest distro out there.

I just did my wife's computer, which has the best hardware box in the house, especially considering the junk I'm left with.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Junk? Don't you have an i5 and a 42" display? And 16 GB of RAM on one of your computers? :)

So which version of Linux Mint are you using? I think you're probably a Cinnamon guy.

I wonder if the graphical install uses usrmerge as mentioned in the upgrade notes. That's what you used, right? I've never heard of usrmerge before.

And finally, did anything change that you noticed?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

So what versions did you upgrade from, Buster?  Ver 20.0 or 19.??

Quote from: buster on January 16, 2021, 07:07:59 PM
Software sources and many programs effortlessly changed. If you don't use Mint however, this is a pointless read. So there is no need for you to know that Mint is the best and easiest distro out there.

I just did my wife's computer, which has the best hardware box in the house, especially considering the junk I'm left with.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

The upgrade was to 20.1 Cinnamon. No idea of what's going on underneath. I just click mice buttons. Security updates 'til 2025.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I just did the upgrade to Mint 20.1. Very smooth and quick. I was also able to update the kernel to 5.8, which seems to work better on my iMac than 5.4. What is really nice are the new wallpapers associated with Ulyssa. A lot of them are neat urban pictures from around the world. Although my favourite is the one of Brooklyn. :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Jason

Gorgeous! I see you've modified the desktop to look a little more like Ubuntu/Gnome.

fox

Thank you. I never would have thought that a photo of Brooklyn would look so nice, but this one does. Mint 20.1 comes with other nice wallpaper; I suspect you can get them online even if you don't use Linux Mint.

And yes, you are right that I modified it to look more like Gnome. I got used to having the dock on the left side from using Unity in Ubuntu. When Ubuntu switched to Gnome, they kept the dock on the left. Both Cinnamon and KDE Plasma have the dock on the bottom by default. That arrangement in Cinnamon looks too much like Windows for my comfort, so I switched that immediately to the left. In Manjaro KDE, the default dock looks somewhat less like Windows and somewhat more like the Mac OS. I tried it in that position, but ultimately moved it to the left as well. In this case, it looks a lot like the dock of MX Linux, but the Manjaro version looks nicer to me, or at least it does after making the dock wider. To my eye, the dock always has to be widened when moving from bottom to left, for aesthetic reasons and also because the icons seem smaller when the dock goes from horizontal to vertical.

There is an operational logic in moving the dock from bottom to left. Because the monitor is wider than taller, having the dock on the bottom is more restrictive on the size of your application windows; unless of course you set it to hide the dock when an app window is opened (which I don't).