• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Quick/basic Resizing photos in Mint 19

Started by ssfc72, January 05, 2021, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

This short Youtube video has a nice quick command line install of an addon to the Nemo file manager.  There is a link in the video description for the command line operation.
Works very well for a quick way to quickly resize a photo, when running Mint 19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iysHn4uMkLU

I normally have used the ImageMajick progam to edit resize photos under linux but when I tried to install ImageMagick from Synaptic, the install went ok but I could not find the program in the Mint Menu and it was not found when I tried to use the command line.

Synaptic in the details for ImageMajick said the program was a "dummy" program ??
Perhaps I needed to log out as a user, and then log back in?  This was a necessary step, for the above command line install of the addon for the Nemo file manager.

I have used ImageMagick on my older notebook computer running Mint 18 and it worked well on that computer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for sharing. Resizing photos is sometimes necessary to attach them to posts here so it's a very useful tip. :)

Here's why dummy packages are often used. A LOT of programs depend on Imagemagick but package names have changed over time and have been broken up into smaller packages. So you include a dummy package for those programs that won't install without it even though those dependencies are now met by other packages. After that program is installed, you can remove/purge the dummy package.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Did it show up in the list of installed programs after you logged out and back in again? Because I think what you may have installed is just the plugin and not the full imagemagick program perhaps?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

On my first attempt on trying to use Synaptic to install ImageMagick, I did not log out, as a user, and log back in.  Synaptic did show, after the install, that ImageMagick was installed.  However there was nothing in the Mint menu showing ImageMagick and when I tried to run ImageMagic from the command line, there was nothing.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I wonder if you installed the complete program or just a package with the libraries (like imagemagick-common), which doesn't contain binaries (i.e. the program). When I run synaptic in Linux Lite I see these packages shown in the attachment when I search for 'imagemagick'. The packages may be slightly different in Linux Mint. Look at the description for each package for the one that says it contains binaries. In my case, the dummy package called 'imagemagick' installs the binaries and the documentation.

Jason

If Linux Mint comes with a separate software installer, you may find it easier to use it in this case over synaptic.

Jason

This might help. It doesn't put it in the menu but if you type this command in the terminal, it will run the graphical interface if the complete binaries are installed:

display