• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

What distro do you use on your Raspberry Pi?

Started by fox, January 09, 2021, 11:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

On one site I read a 4 GB minimum. On an eBay site where you can buy a preloaded BerryBoot SD card, the smallest size they were selling is 16 GB.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

Quote from: fox on January 25, 2021, 07:51:59 AM
OK, just for fun, I tried installing Volumio on my SSD using the BerryBoot booter.

I can't say that this wouldn't have worked had I used BerryBoot with Ethernet access. ....
I can now tell you that Volumio works when loaded with the BerryBoot booter if you set it up with Ethernet. Run Volumio on the pi and sign in. Get your IP address and then go to that in a browser from your computer. You will get the Volumio dashboard. The only problem I had after that was figuring out how to play a music station or fileserver content on the remote device. I'll post that in Support.

ssfc72

Well, Volumio on the RPi does render a GUI, that you view by typing in the PI ip address in your device (cell phone, tablet , computer) and you access the Volumio GUI, on the Pi,  through your wifi home network.
You use your device to select, from the Volumio GUI on the RPI, the radio station/internet streaming music service. Volumio then grabs the music from the internet.
Your device is only used to operate the Volumio GUI. I don't think the device you use, is suppose to also play the music.  The music is delivered by speakers connected to the PI.

I don't think I will try Volumio from a Berryboot install.  I just want to have a RPi run as Volumio, stand alone internet radio and I don't have a need to also boot other OS's on the Pi.

Quote from: fox on January 26, 2021, 07:24:19 AM
Rhythmbox has a bunch of radio stations pre-programmed with the app and you can add more. But this is a GUI app; you access it locally, not through the internet. From you description, it sounds like Volumio doesn't have a GUI on the app itself, but once installed, you access it via a browser like you do in OpenMediaVault. Is that how it works? If so, the reason Volumio didn't work for me is that I installed it on BerryBoot without an Ethernet connection. So it probably never set up. I might try a reinstall with a wired connection. Have you tried it yet, Bill?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 26, 2021, 03:29:28 PM
Well, Volumio on the RPi does render a GUI, that you view by typing in the PI ip address in your device (cell phone, tablet , computer) and you access the Volumio GUI, on the Pi,  through your wifi home network.
You use your device to select, from the Volumio GUI on the RPI, the radio station/internet streaming music service. Volumio then grabs the music from the internet.
Your device is only used to operate the Volumio GUI. I don't think the device you use, is suppose to also play the music.  The music is delivered by speakers connected to the PI.
That being the case, Volumio is set up quite different from OpenMediaVault on a Pi. In both of these, you control the Pi from a remote device. But with OpenMediaVault, you access the files from other computers in your network, whereas in Volumio, you play the music from speakers connected to the Pi. No wonder I was confused. I figured that the point of Volumio on the Pi was that it is the "server", and it serves your music on other devices.

ssfc72

Ok, I now can see why you were confused, after also working with OMV.

Edit :   Without using Volumio on the RPi, you could actually listen to internet radio music on any of your devices, that are connected to your home network (which is connected to the internet), by running a music streaming app.

This however would be a bit of overkill to use a $800 cell phone to listen to internet music, when a $50 RPi and some good small speakers , can provide a nice small compact internet radio, with very good sound quality. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 27, 2021, 12:43:41 AM
Actually, you could listen to internet radio music on any of your devices, that are connected to your home network (which is connected to the internet).
My computers are connected to the home network by wifi, but I couldn't figure out how to listen to music in Volumio from any of them. In all cases, I connected to Volumio running on my Pi through Firefox on the computer. I could locate the music (or radio station) in Volumio, but it wouldn't play on the computer - only on the Pi. So how do I get it to play on the computer? Is there an app I need to have for this to happen? I know that there are apps you can use on phones for this.

On the other hand, if the point of Volumio is to get high quality sound by hooking good speakers up to the Volumio device, then perhaps there would be no advantage to running Volumio on a computer that isn't already hooked up to high quality speakers. I can play any music or internet radio station on my computer through Rhythmbox or similar apps. If the question is streaming music connected to the Pi running Volumio, I can do that by running OpenMediaVault on the Pi with the music stored on the server and connect to it from my computer. Playing Volumio on the phone would be a different matter, as phone storage is limited, and an app to stream music available on the Pi running Volumio would be useful. Plus, access of internet radio stations through Volumio would be much faster than accessing them through a browser on a phone.

ssfc72

Sorry Mike, I didn't make myself clear enough, when I said " you could listen to internet radio music on any of your devices, that are connected to your home network (which is connected to the internet"

I have edited my post to clarify what I was trying to convey. See previous post.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 27, 2021, 12:43:41 AM
This however would be a bit of overkill to use a $800 cell phone to listen to internet music, when a $50 RPi and some good small speakers , can provide a nice small compact internet radio, with very good sound quality. :-)

Are you judging me? You sound like you're judging me (I used Spotify). ;) But FWIW, my phone is around $200 if you bought it outright. So it's not as much overkill. :) And it's a lot easier carrying around than a Pi.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

The other downside to using a  cell phone at home, as an internet radio, is that the battery of the cell phone is probably going to fail quicker, from being drained more quickly and having more charge cycles done to it. :-)

fox

For those fans of MX Linux, a fancied-up Fluxbox version is available for the Pi 3 and Pi 4. You can find a review here. The review is very positive. Harry, you are going to have to buy a Pi just to try this.  :)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 30, 2021, 02:35:40 AM
The other downside to using a  cell phone at home, as an internet radio, is that the battery of the cell phone is probably going to fail quicker, from being drained more quickly and having more charge cycles done to it. :-)

Oh, I see where you're going now. I was thinking when I'm away from home. When I'm at home I just listen to my music on my PC. But the RPi is certainly a much lower power option than a PC. My Nest Mini also lets me listen to music. The speaker on it is pretty good but I'm not an audiophile so I probably couldn't tell unless it was really bad. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13