Linux & Android > Raspberry Pi & Single-Board Computers

What distro do you use on your Raspberry Pi?

(1/9) > >>

fox:
I hadn't realized how many choices there are for my RPi4. Going to the BerryBoot page, I see a number of light distros, including Raspberry Pi OS, Q4OS, DietPi and RaspArch. Are any of you using a desktop OS on your Pi that is different from Raspberry Pi OS?

ssfc72:
On my RPi 3b, if I recall correctly, I think I briefly ran the Rasbian desktop OS. I believe Rasbian is now called Raspberry Pi OS??
I think it ran quite well, but I didn't spend much time using it.  I wound up using the Pi for other things such as LibreElec, MotionEye OS and Volumio.

fox:
Don't you have to install a distro to run these things? LibreElec, for example, is a distro set up to run Kodi, I think. There is a version of LibreElec for BerryBoot that I had installed on the Pi 3; it ran pretty well. Unfortunately, there isn't one on the BerryBoot website for the Pi 4. You can get LibreElec for the Pi4 on the LibreElec website, but it has to be adapted in some way to be installed on the BerryBoot booter.

Jason:
When I do use it, I just use the Raspberry Pi OS. But I've experimented with RISC OS and LibreELEC just to see what they look like. I noticed just now that they've updated  NOOBS with some different OSes: Recalbox, Lakka, Screenly OSE, and TLXOS. I don't think I've heard of any of these before.

ssfc72:
No you don't install a distro.  LibreElec, Volumio and MotionEye programs all have the underlying Pi OS included.  You just image these programs to the SD card of the RPi and they boot up when you power up the Pi.

--- Quote from: fox on January 10, 2021, 07:38:35 am ---Don't you have to install a distro to run these things? LibreElec, for example, is a distro set up to run Kodi, I think. There is a version of LibreElec for BerryBoot that I had installed on the Pi 3; it ran pretty well. Unfortunately, there isn't one on the BerryBoot website for the Pi 4. You can get LibreElec for the Pi4 on the LibreElec website, but it has to be adapted in some way to be installed on the BerryBoot booter.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version