• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Changing theme and icons on Raspberry Pi OS

Started by fox, January 09, 2021, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Using the Noobs RPi booter, I assume that I have some light version of LXDE installed. The icons are kind of childish-looking, and I would like to change them. I also would like to try another theme. I downloaded the Arc theme, but I can't find any system preference that allows me to change theme or icons. How do I do this?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I don't have it set up right now but I don't recall that ability. You'd probably have to find an add-on that would let you do this. Or find out where the theme files and icon files are located and then find ones that you like.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

You can change the theme and icons on Raspberry Pi OS. A view of the settings panel to do so was disabled by default, so it wasn't showing in the menu. I found it as an unchecked option in the menu editor. Unfortunately, any of the icon changes I tried remove the nice icon of the Raspberry Pi menu in the upper left corner of the panel. I haven't figured out how to change that icon back while using a different icon theme.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 19, 2021, 08:30:00 AM
You can change the theme and icons on Raspberry Pi OS. A view of the settings panel to do so was disabled by default, so it wasn't showing in the menu. I found it as an unchecked option in the menu editor. Unfortunately, any of the icon changes I tried remove the nice icon of the Raspberry Pi menu in the upper left corner of the panel. I haven't figured out how to change that icon back while using a different icon theme.

It's kind of a cludge but you could find out what the icon file is called in the new theme and then delete it (or rename it by putting an extension like .old on the very end (with the original) and then just rename the original icon to the same name.

That's for the tip!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13