• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

NEW Topic - Trump/Twitter

Started by gmiller1977, January 09, 2021, 10:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmiller1977

New topic!  The previous one was getting heated.  I wasn't trying to upset anyone or instigite a fight, and if I did, I apologize.

Donald Trump has lost most if not all of his online platforms (as well as support from many in the Republican party):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/twitter-bans-trump-permanently-1.5867020

Do you think he's reined in for the last few days of his presidency?  Thoughts on recent events?

fox

One can never count on Trump as being "reined in", but his lack of access to platforms is going to make it harder for him to reach his base. If he would just stay silent and do nothing for the remaining 13 days of his presidency, I think it would be best to leave him alone so as not to stoke up the militant right wingers. But no one trusts him to stay silent, and it looks like impeachment proceedings are coming.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

It's great that Twitter abandoned him but it's a little late to pretend you suddenly care about the truth. I don't think he personally used other social media much but his fans certainly did. They're only taking strong measures because there's no fallout among reasonable people for doing so now.

I read from inside sources that his staff was considering resigning en masse after the attempted insurrection and Trump's failure to condemn it. Many have left already but some said they wanted to stay to prevent him from going even more bananas. He can still get his message about but not directly now. His Chief of Staff sent a few tweets on his behalf but at least he can prevent Trump from starting WWIII with them. I don't know if Trump controls the @POTUS Twitter account directly or if it goes through the staff.

Regarding the impeachment process, he could become the first President to have been impeached twice and in only one term! Way to go! But I'm not sure the point of impeachment proceedings again. Democrats don't have control of the Senate until January 20, so they'd have to count on the support of a few Republicans to do it. It's probably an attempt to force Republicans into an awkward position so they look bad for mid-terms for taking Trump's side as predicted or abandon him and face Trump challenging their seats in primaries. Either way, the Democrats win by damaging the Republican brand at least among moderates or weakening the party in mid-terms.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13