• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Use your Android phone or tablet as a Raspberry pi display

Started by fox, January 05, 2021, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I think I will buy one of those HDMI capture devices for my RPi.  It would be inexpensive, handy to have device, to view a video output of the RPi, without having to setup SSH or VNC.

Quote from: fox on January 05, 2021, 08:23:05 AM
I had no idea one could do that until I saw this YouTube video. All you need is a USB to HDMI capture device (as cheap as $13 on Amazon), an adapter to plug the USB end into the phone or tablet, and a screen capture software app. The only negative is that when the display device is being used, you don't have touch screen capability. So if you have an 8" Android tablet like I do, is it better to use this or to buy something like a 7" touchscreen made for an RPi?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 09, 2021, 02:32:13 AM
I don't believe I can access the underlying RPi OS, that the Motioneye program is running on.  Perhaps I would need to SSH into the RPi, to do that?

Yeah, I didn't expect you could. And yes, you could SSH in and run terminal commands just like you had it hooked it up to a monitor.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13