Author Topic: microphone on bluetooth headset gives mangled sound  (Read 163 times)

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
Re: microphone on bluetooth headset gives mangled sound
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 04:55:01 am »
That's pretty cool! $6 for Bluetooth earbuds; I didn't expect that was even available unless on a slow boat from China. I haven't seen those here. Can you pick me up a pair, Bill and I'll pay you back on Thursday next?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:45:24 am by Jason Wallwork »
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 05:04:52 am »
Sure, I can pick up a box for you. It will be $6 plus the tax.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline fox

• Posting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 03:37:03 pm »
Before I got too excited about your result, Bill, I thought I should make a test of my own, just like yours, running the Jabra Talk 15 through a PC running Ubuntu. I did so by connecting it to my Dell xps. Sure enough, it also worked and with good microphone sound. So the problem now appears more complicated as has often been the case running Ubuntu on a 5k iMac. Bluetooth works fine on this iMac, but with speakers, not mics. Running the Bluetooth mic through the iMac gives a distorted sound, and it might be because you can't get high fidelity playback with the microphone. At any rate, I'm giving up on a Bluetooth headset and mic for this Mac. Since everything connected with USB seems to work, my choices are: USB mic as a separate device; USB headset/mic like the Logitech H390 (which does work); or no mic at all and do Zoom/Jitsi calls on the MacOS side or another computer. Weird, eh?
Ubuntu 20.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 03:56:21 pm »
Ok Mike, good thing you did a test of the bluetooth headset with mic, on a different computer.
I was sort of expecting your Bluetooth mic issue with the IMac was unique to that machine.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go