• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Margaret Rutherford 1960's movies. A great English character actress.

Started by ssfc72, November 10, 2020, 12:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I am currently enjoying the 1950's movies starring the great English character actress Margaret Rutherford.
I especially like looking for the facial features she pulls when playing the character Miss Marple of the Agatha Christie novels.
Some of the Miss Marple ( an older lady amateur detective) movies are found on YouTube.
The one I am currently watching, Murder At The Gallop, I found through the Usenet groups.  I use, https://nzbfinder.ws/login ,to search for  movies/audiobooks .nzb files and the program Sabnzd+ , to download the media.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Boy, .nzb files aren't something I've heard of in a few years. I remember that a former member was big on .nzb files. Bob and I visited his mancave once and he had a lot of movies he got over it from Usenet. Mark something? He might even have an account in this forum.

How did you get access to newsgroups? I don't believe any ISPs support them anymore or does nzbfinder give you access?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

You need to subscribe to a Usenet provider, in order to be able to use a program like Sabnzb+, to download Media.
I used the Usenet provider,  usenet.farm  to provide the service.  They have a free trial  that you can use, to try them out.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Cool. I'm just curious but won't be doing it myself unless there's info in the newsgroups I'm interested in. I think it's mostly just spam and nzbs now. I'm restricting myself now to only shows or movies of the legal variety. I realized that I was ranting about how few people pay for content online even newspapers and realized that I wasn't being consistent when it came to videos. So I'm just trying to practice what I preach. :)

But not judging anyone. How can I when I did the same thing for decades? I do think a good argument can be made for downloading things you can't actually find anywhere to buy though. There's a lot of "out of print" stuff, as it were.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"realized that I wasn't being consistent when it came to videos."

I do six inconsistent things before breakfast every day!
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on November 10, 2020, 06:04:14 PM
"realized that I wasn't being consistent when it came to videos."

I do six inconsistent things before breakfast every day!

I don't want to hear about your bathroom antics. :D

buster

Well my disappointment knows no bounds. I thought someone would recognize the reference to Through the Looking Glass.

Lewis Carroll wrote two classics that are considered children's book. Personally, I think they would be too challenging for any children I have known, but perfect for adults. Here's the full quote:

""I'm just one hundred and one, five months and a day."
"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." "

ssfc72

buster

This quote is sometimes used to promote creative thinking in business and writing workshops. A solution to a problem can come from the oddest places.