• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

New Webpage.

Started by buster, November 09, 2020, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Looks good Jason. I think somewhere on the page there should be a bullet that says:

Although we've had a long history, especially for a LUG, we still have 3 of the original members from way back when. They still contribute at meetings, though sometimes we do have to wipe the drool off their keyboards and tell them to stop humming at presentations. But it's good to have the continuity our club has had, as the new ones replaced those who moved elsewhere, and we carry on  the fight to bring Linux out of the shadows.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I like that. Are you thinking it should be in the first post or on the side with information about the LUG?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Could we also put also a colored square somewhere on the welcome page that says something like:

Stories!

We are probably the only forum for computers that actually publishes stories about the trials and tribulations, as well as the successes, of rebuilding, restoring or reclaiming our sometime old computers. If you have a talent for writing, why not take your latest computer adventures and present them as prose? Submit stories to  whoeverman and if they're good we'll publish them. Or we'll advise you on making them better so we can add them to our forum list. Stories add life to the trials, failures and successes of working with computers. Share that with us.

Meanwhile, start reading here with our latest, The Really Unpleasant Computer (Make this so it it directs to the story).

Jason

Sure, I can do that. I highly would prefer those stories that have to do with Linux, though, if they're linked from the main page. After all, we're a LUG not a PC users group. But stories about reviving old computers with Windows can still go in the non-Linux section of the forum.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

" I highly would prefer those stories that have to do with Linux"

I understand. But I don't choose the local disasters that occur to my electronic equipment. The GCTS decides that. I do, however, have two Linux stories partly written, one being very scary because of what I'd lose.

GCTS = Great Compute Tech in the Sky.

Jason

Quote from: buster on November 16, 2020, 01:15:28 PM
" I highly would prefer those stories that have to do with Linux"

I understand. But I don't choose the local disasters that occur to my electronic equipment.

But usually, Linux can be installed on a computer after a disaster. That's what I mean. You could have been using Windows before, as long as something involves Linux in the entire experience. Even re-creating a test box that has Windows but you use for testing Linux in a VM, maybe. :)

buster

" as long as something involves Linux in the entire experience. "

Actually the latest that's waiting for publication uses Linux in two places.

Jason

Quote from: buster on November 16, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
" as long as something involves Linux in the entire experience. "

Actually the latest that's waiting for publication uses Linux in two places.

Sweet! Then you'll definitely get a link from the front page. :) Looking forward to the story!

buster

I just did a google on plugintolinux and it's missing the red blurb

Jason

Quote from: buster on November 23, 2020, 05:07:14 PM
I just did a google on plugintolinux and it's missing the red blurb

It'll come back In a draft I have including it as a quote in information about the club. But why google our website?

buster

Always curious how others might find us, and what the first impressions might be. Have also googled linux peterborough ont. Not much else seems to reach us.

Jason

I think SEO is hard but I really haven't aimed for it. We need somebody running the group that knows something about marketing.