Author Topic: Sean Connery (007 British Secret Agent) passed away, age 90  (Read 419 times)

Offline ssfc72

• Master
Sean Connery (007 British Secret Agent) passed away, age 90
« on: November 01, 2020, 04:17:33 am »
It was interesting reading the obits of Sean Connery and his very humble beginnings.  https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-13087132

Of the few obits that I read, none mentioned the one movie he starred in, that I enjoyed the most, Medicine Man.  The movie was based on the Brasil rain forest and a scientist's search to reproduce the medicine cure for cancer that he had found, then lost.  Meanwhile the Brasil rain forest, with all it's plant life, is being burned, to make way for roads and farming/forestry.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline fox

• Master
Re: Sean Connery (007 British Secret Agent) passed away, age 90
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:10:42 am »
I was saddened to hear of his death. He was my favourite James Bond by far.
Ubuntu 21.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:58 pm »
I remember watching that movie, Bill. It was an enjoyable watch and he did a solid job. I will remember him best as the Captain of a Soviet submarine in the Hunt for Red October but I liked him playing Indiana's father in The Last Crusade, too.

I didn't know about his rough beginnings and early gigs. The one I find amusing is that he once a model at an art school!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:21:55 pm by Jason Wallwork »
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline buster

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 02:00:57 pm »
"I was saddened to hear of his death. He was my favourite James Bond by far."

I sort of agree, but not 'by far'. Daniel Craig is not far behind. I'd like to add that I've seen all the Bond movies at least once, and the last few, at least in the theatre, are probably my favourites, but the originals AT THE TIME were awesome. Re-watch Dr No and I think you'll see it shows it's age.

But forever and forever, Connery will be for those old enough, Bond, James Bond.
The Ironic Big Bust Theory: The likelihood of an advanced species imploding in apocalyptic stupidity. (Intergalactic Survey of Disappearing Civilizations: Chapter 4))

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »
Re-watch any of the films from that era and they'll show their age. Sexism was pretty predominate, for example. I just read about his attitude about slapping women but I guess it wasn't unusual in the time he was brought up in to think like that.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata