• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

RPi internet radio - Volumio service

Started by ssfc72, October 24, 2020, 09:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Off-topic but "40 Volt rechargeable Lithium batteries for my electric lawnmower"

I didn't know you could run a lawnmower on 40 V batteries. Impressive! I wish our landlord would convert to an electric mower. The gas one he uses is hella' stinky - we have to close all our windows. Maybe I'll tell him about this one. Can you message me privately and let me know where to get it since I don't want to hijack the topic.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

The ubiquitous power adapters that plug into the household electrical wall outlets, to provide low voltage power to various devices, in your home. :-)  ie:  the 5 volt usb power adapters.

Quote from: buster on October 27, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
"wall wart wire "

Translate please.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 27, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
"wall wart wire "

Translate please.

He actually just spelt my name wrong. ;)

But seriously, I didn't know what a wall wart was neither. You learn something new every day or at least try to.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"The ubiquitous power adapters "

Are we allowed to use words like ubiquitous on this site?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Readers of the PLUG Forums are gaining an increase in their language skills  (wall wart, ubiquitous, etc). :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 28, 2020, 06:26:29 PM
"The ubiquitous power adapters "

Are we allowed to use words like ubiquitous on this site?

That word is reserved for Bill but you may user others.

ssfc72

So, with the Volumio internet radio program, i went into the Settings and Plugins and i turned on the Spotify internet radio streaming service.
I qutie like the Movie Ticket Radio Classic, channel. It streams, as the name implies, music from the movies.
The announcer gives a short introduction to each tune.

I also like to listen to some of the Hawian stations and their music. :-)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on October 29, 2020, 12:13:00 PM
So, with the Volumio internet radio program, i went into the Settings and Plugins and i turned on the Spotify internet radio streaming service.

Strickling speaking, Spotify isn't internet radio; it's a music streaming service. There aren't any radio stations on it that I know of. Is this the first time you've tried Spotify?

My wife likes listening to some of the podcasts. I just it for music mostly. I have about 1500 songs on my list so when I'm out walking, waiting for or on the bus, I'll listen to random songs on the Spotify phone app. I have the premium service so you can download all your songs and podcasts and so it's ad-free.

ssfc72

Lots of radio stations. Just type in an FM freq. In the search bar.
I typed in 91.9 and lots of stations were listed.
You can also get to the Web Radio menu item. In that menu is a menu item called, Local. Go into that and it lists all the radio stations for our area.

ssfc72

So, I have been using my old MotoG 3rd generation phone ( Android 6 ) and the Opera browser  to access the Volumio web page on the RPi 3, to operate the internet radio and select music channels/stations.
I found it was better/easier to navigate the Volumio webpage if I changed the Opera browser setting on the cell phone, to use Desktop mode, instead of Mobile mode.
It still took a great deal of trial and error to figure out how to get into the various pages of the Volumio web page, to operate the internet radio.  I had to realise that I needed to scroll up and down the web page to see all the menu items, available.

I also am sometimes getting error messages, at first, after trying to start a music selection, for the first time.  An error message pops up, after the music has played for half a minute, and reports a decoding error and also a CURL error and the music will stop playing.
I click on the play button and the music starts to play again but then stops with the same error message.  I restart a number of times and eventually the problem goes away. Almost like there is maybe wifi interference?

I will try my Samsung  Tab A tablet and see if I have the same problem, using it.