• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

RPi internet radio - Volumio service

Started by ssfc72, October 24, 2020, 09:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I am happy to report that I now have my old RPi 3 setup as an internet radio.  It works great! I had a small Creative twin speaker battery/dc line powered  unit that has an aux in jack, that I connected to the earphone jack of the RPi 3.

The RPi Volumio internet radio is controlled/music selected, from a Browser on any device logged into your home wifi service.

I watched this YouTube video for the install info:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApVPjaxj8I

Basically it makes use of the Volunio.org  internet radio service. The basic service is free to use, for the time being.  This website also has a quick guide on setting up the service.
I didn't see any mention about what size of SD card to use in the RPi 3B.  I posted my question on the Volumio Forum and one person said an 8 GB micro SD card would be fine.

Maybe I can find out how to share my computer screen on Jitsi and I can run through a demo of an install, on the next PLUG Mug Jitsi video group meeting.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

I'm guessing that your install works a little differently from mine, but I got this list from the volumio site and I can click any of them and get the music through my browser - very similar to the ShoutCast method.

Station - kbps - website

1FMBluesRadio.pls - 128 - 1.FM BLUES RADIO - 1.fm/ 7
    833SmoothJazz.pls - 320 - 88.3 Smooth Jazz - europaradiojazz.org/ 8
    AddictedToRadio-BluesClassics(256kbps).pls - 256 - AddictedToRadio.com 1 - Blues Classics 256k - addictedtoradio.com/
    AudiophileBaroque.pls - 320 - Audiophile Baroque - audiophilebaroque.rad.io/ 3
    AudiophileClassical.pls - 320 - Audiophile Classical - audiophileclassical.rad.io/ 2
    AudiophileIcecast.pls - 320 - Audiophile Icecast - audiophileicecast.rad.io/ 1
    AudiophileJazz.pls - 320 - Audiophile Jazz - audiophilejazz.rad.io/ 6
    AudiophileLive.pls - 320 - Audiophile Live - audiophilelive.rad.io/ 2
    EuropaRadioJazz - 320 - Europa Radio Jazz - europaradiojazz.org/ 8
    FM106CanadaClassicRock.pls - 320 - FM 106 Canadaââ,¬â,,¢s Classic Rock - fm106.ca/
    FrankZappaStreamRadio.pls - 320 - Frank Zappa Stream - zappateers.oblivion-software.de 4
    GaudeamusJazz.pls - 320 - Gaudeamus Kauno technologijos universiteto radias Lietuva - gaudeamus.fm/
    HiOnLineClassicRadio.pls - 320 - Hi On Line Classic Radio - hionline.eu/ 2
    KWAXclassic.pls - 320 - KWAX-FM University of Oregon - kwaxradio.com/
    LinnClassical.pls - 320 - Linn Web Radio - radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html 6
    LinnJazz.pls - 320 - Linn Web Radio - radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html 6
    LinnRadio.pls - 320 - Linn Web Radio - radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html 6
    MegarockRadio-AllRequestRockRadio.pls - 320 - Megarock Radio - megarockradio.net/
    Morow(128aac+).pls - 128 - Morow Progressive Rock Radio - morow.com/ 1
    NaimRadio.pls - 320 - Naim Radio - naimaudio.com/news/article/n ââ,¬Â¦ io-now-air 5
    RadioCaroline259Gold.pls - 320 - Radio Caroline 259 Gold - radiocaroline259.nl/
    RadioParadise(128aac+).pls - 128 - Radio Paradise - radioparadise.com/ 2
    RockRadio1(192mp3).pls - 192 - Rock Radio 1 - rockradio1.com/
    RootsLegacyRadio-DubUKandRootsReggae.pls - 320 - Roots Legacy Radio - rootslegacy.fr/
    RSDRadio(160mp3) - 160 - RSD-radio - rsd-radio.com/
    SmoothJazz.pls - 256 - Smooth Jazz Global Radio - smoothjazz.com/ 5
    SomehowJazz.pls - 320 - Somehow Jazz - somehowjazz.com/
    SwedishClassicRadio(192mp3).pls - 192 - Swedish Public Radio - sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.as ââ,¬Â¦ kel=572753 3
    SwingRadio.pls - 320 - 스ìÅ"â,,¢Ã¬ÂÅ'ì•… - swingradio.saycast.com
    VeniceClassicRadioItalia(128mp3).pls - 128 - Venice Classic Radio - veniceclassicradio.eu/ 1
    VinylEars.pls - 320 - Vinyl Ears - vinylears.com/ 3

Oddly enough, if I email this list to myself all the links are clickable, whereas I'm not sure they are in the forum. Anyway, this thread in their forum has lots more:

https://community.volumio.org/t/internet-radio-stations-in-volumio/657/6
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

If you go to this ShoutCast page and select on the left a category, and select a station, at least on my computer, it prompts to open Clementine and it plays on a wee app.

On my downstairs computer I use a different opening page and it opens directly.

http://directory.shoutcast.com/scradioinwinamp

However yours has a 'cool' factor way, way above my method!

ssfc72

Thanks for the info and Links, Buster.  Good info to know.

The RPi is nice because it is so small and portable, does not need a keyboard, mouse or monitor and I don't have to boot up a big computer or notebook computer, to listen to world radio stations/music. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

"does not need a keyboard, mouse or monitor "

How do you change stations?

Jason

I notice there's a plug-in for Spotify, too. Then you can pick all the songs you like and you don't have to worry about changing stations.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

You can use the internet browser on your cell phone or tablet, if you want to select a different music stream. You just type the IP address of the RPi into the browser address bar and it brings up the RPi Volumio page.

Quote from: buster on October 24, 2020, 01:50:53 PM
"does not need a keyboard, mouse or monitor "

How do you change stations?

Jason

Geez. I didn't think of using a cellphone or tablet to do it either. It's like having a remote control.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

The finished RPi Volumio internet radio, photo.

Jason

Looks good, Bill! How's it sound? Do you have an idea how long the speakers last on battery or do you usually have them plugged into an outlet?

And yes, a demo of the install would be cool as perhaps showing how it's used, say, in a virtual machine.

buster

Bill,

#1. Do you turn it off when not in use or leave it running?
#2. Are the wires going out the windows for your ham radio?
#3. If you do a presentation for this, please make sure it's not election night

ssfc72

The little Creative speakers sound very good, considering their small size.  I have a larger Boom box, with an Aux input, that would sound even better, if I wanted to use a bulkier system.

The Creative speakers take four AA batteries, which should last for a few hours use. The speakers also have a 5 Volt DC input, if I wanted to power them with a wall wart.  I think I may build a small Lithium battery rechargeable power pack, to power the Creative speakers. I also have two 40 Volt rechargeable Lithium batteries for my electric lawnmower, that I could adapt to power the Creative speaker. One of these batteries would probably power the speakers for a year, on a single charge. :-)

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on October 26, 2020, 12:14:20 PM
Looks good, Bill! How's it sound? Do you have an idea how long the speakers last on battery or do you usually have them plugged into an outlet?

And yes, a demo of the install would be cool as perhaps showing how it's used, say, in a virtual machine.

ssfc72

I turn it off when I am done listening to the music.  Using my cell phone, the Volumio page has a shutdown menu item. I then turn off the speakers and unplug the RPi.
There are no wires going out the window. I assume you mean internet radio and not ham radio? :-)
I may be listening to the tunes on the internet radio, on election night. Whatever night that is. :-)

Quote from: buster on October 26, 2020, 06:05:22 PM
Bill,

#1. Do you turn it off when not in use or leave it running?
#2. Are the wires going out the windows for your ham radio?
#3. If you do a presentation for this, please make sure it's not election night

buster

"There are no wires going out the window."

At the top of the picture of the radio, there is what looks like a window frame. Top left has a black wire; top right has a white wire. I'm curious to know what those wires are.

ssfc72

The white wire is the wall wart wire that is powering the RPi.
The black wire, is from a string of solar led lights, that is sitting on the window ledge. :-)