• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Tutanota Encrypted Calendar (cross-platform)

Started by Jason, March 10, 2021, 05:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

It's been available for a while but now had encryption so nobody can read your events ever. You can import and export your events from Google Calendar and others. It's available for Linux as an AppImage package that contains the full suite, email, calendar, contacts. Just download and run. It will notify you of updates and a single-click does it. And it's free. There are also apps for iOS and Android. Or you can just use it your browser. More info here:

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/free-encrypted-calendar/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

The free account is limited to one calendar. What does that mean? On my Google calendar I have several categories. Is each of these considered a calendar? Also, does it sync with Google Calendar?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks Jason.  Good info to know and I like that the data is encrypted.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: fox on March 10, 2021, 10:46:08 PM
The free account is limited to one calendar. What does that mean? On my Google calendar I have several categories. Is each of these considered a calendar? Also, does it sync with Google Calendar?

I'm not sure what you mean by categories. As far as I can tell (see attachment) Google lists calendars. So it'd be the same as with Google. It doesn't appear to sync, no. That would kind of defeat the purpose since the encryption or your calendar is the main feature.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Based on your screenshot, each category (e.g., home, work) is a separate calendar. This wouldn't work for me then, even if it did sync with Google Calendars. That's not to say that it isn't an interesting app if you can access it and sync it from all of your devices, and if you have only one calendar.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

The screenshot is the listing of my calendars in Google. I didn't understand your use of the word 'categories' so I was showing that Google calls them calendars, too. If that's what you meant to say, then, yes, Tutanota wouldn't work for you unless you bought a paid version. It's 12 euros/year, not terribly expensive and you might find the 5 included email aliases useful. I use the custom domain feature as well so I have an email that ends in jasonwallwork.ca but you're likely not interested in that.

But really, the point of it is to have your private information, like your calendar, secure. Even the guys at Tutanota can't view it. You can still invite people to look at that, though.