• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Raspberry Pi 3 kit

Started by ssfc72, December 30, 2016, 05:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The Microsoft Canada online store was out of stock on the Rasp Pi 3 kit, so I ordered  a Lanzo Rasp Pi kit from Amazon.ca for $66 and free shipping.
https://www.amazon.ca/LANDZO-Raspberry-Ultimate-Kits/dp/B01M5AGSGN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483134533&sr=8-5&keywords=raspberry+pi+3+kits

The kit doesn't come with an SD card ( with the NOOBS software). I do have some appropriate SD cards, so I will just download the NOOBS software and install it to the SD card.

Only catch is, this Lanzo kit seems to be shipping from China because it shows the delivery date to be late jan/early Feb. :-(

I expect I will also be ordering an add-on DVMega board, so that I can turn the Pi into an Amateur Radio hotspot, to access the digital DMR networks, with my Hyterra UHF handheld transceiver radio.
This will allow me to communicate with other Hams, all over Canada, the US and the rest of the world.

I need this hotspot device because, at this time there is no DMR Amateur Radio repeater in Lindsay, to connect to with the DMR networks, with my Hyterra handheld digital radio.

Hopefully I can figure out how to get the DVMega board to work on the Rasp Pi.  The setup seems a bit complex, to me.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Sounds like a good project, Bill. Let us know how it goes. I hope to acquire a kit in February.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

So for anyone who is going to need to buy a sd card for their raspberry Pi. Staples in Lindsay has a generic, no name 16G Class 10 micro sd card with an adapter for $5.90, at the moment.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

bobf

If you'd like to be the proud possessor of a new Lindsay repeater, just let me know; I have the basic hardware and all of the software, mostly just need the IRLP board... Old school but doable - but it sounds even easier with the RPi and PiRLP...

Let me know...

ssfc72

Ok Bob, I will have to talk with you at the next Mug, that I get to.

ssfc72

Yipee!  The Lanzo Raspberry Pi 3 kit, has arrived!  Delivery time was very quick.

The kit looks good.  Came with qty 5 heat sinks, of 2 sizes. 2 of the large heat sinks look to be copper and the rest are aluminium. They have adhesive pads for mounting.

2.5 amp power adapter.

bobf

Wow! Nice! You know, it's great to know we're probably NEVER going to run out of new toys...!! <^8#

ssfc72

I have a spare USB mouse to use with the pi, but all my keyboards are ps2.
When to the local thrift store and got a nice, smallish Dell USB keyboard for $5.

I have a nice handheld wifi keyboard/trackpad coming from China, but I didn't t want to wait for it to show up.

Jason

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun, Bill!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

So is this a better deal than the one at the (Microsoft Store? What about the Creatron bundle?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

With the Creatron bundle you would also probably need to buy a 2.5 Amp power adapter, which would probably be $10-$12, plus the shipping costs. The kit does not include a case,
Unless you want to wait, for when we have another shopping trip organized, to Toronto. :-)  Hopefully in April when the weather is nicer.

With the Landzo kit at Amazon.ca, you would need a 8G -16G SD card to install the NOOBS software, onto.  Power adapter and case is included.
I just got a 16G micro SD card (with SD adapter) for $6, from Staples (they are now  sold out, on that special, here in Lindsay).  Shipping is free for the Landzo at amazon.

The Microsoft Canada Store has a kit with the PI, power adapter, case and SD card for $75 and free shipping.  But, again, as of today , it shows as being out of stock.
There is also a kit for $70, but it doesn't include the power supply.

So the Landzo at Amazon.ca is maybe the best deal, if you want the power adapter, case..  It took about 2 weeks to get mailed to me.

The prices are pretty close among all 3 retailers, so it may be more a case of availability and how quick you want to get your Pi. 

fox

Turns out that i have a 16 gb Class 10 micro SD with adaptor, that I bought awhile back to fit into an Android tablet. (Took the table back but I had already opened and used the SD card.) In fact it comes from Staples, and I think I paid around $6-7 for it. Is this what I would use with an Rpi3? On the other hand, this would be an excuse for a Geek Trip. We haven't done one of those for awhile.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Yes, apparently the Pi uses a micro SD card, so you can make use of that micro SD card, Mike.

ssfc72

It's Alive!   Got my Raspberry Pi 3  up and running.

It was a struggle but I got the Pi running with Raspbian, using the NOOBS program.
It took 3 tries to get the install to work.
Once I got to the desktop, I opened up the browser, only to find it was complaining that there was no wifi setup.  That was strange since the NOOBS software allowed me to setup my wifi and it appeared to have found and logged onto my wifi.
Dug around on the Raspian OS, a bit, and found the wifi seemed to be set for a GB locale (I found the keyboard and language set to GB, also, with the NOOBS setup, so I had changed that to US keyboard and language).

I finally noticed the wifi icon at the top right, of the desktop and got the wifi going.

Very nice Desktop picture showing on my large screen HD TV. :-)

Scott

You guys will have to let me know how the Pi 3 works.  One of my recent make work projects will be building a MAME Arcade cabinet.  Currently I plan on putting in one of my older computers.  However, I have a friend who wants to build a cheaper bar top unit and a Pi 3 with RetroPi would work out very well for that.