• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Geforce GT 240 card issues

Started by Jason, October 06, 2020, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Has anyone tried running a Geforce GT 240 card under Linux? After my old Geforce 710 card died, i found this one, which was released in 2013. It was bench-marked at either 50% or 95% performance of the card that gave up the ghost so I thought it'd be better than the onboard video. It also has 1 GB of RAM, unusually for a card of this vintage.

It wouldn't work right away with the already-installed Kubuntu 20.04. I didn't see anything after choosing it in boot menu. Just a blank screen.

Although I was able to re-install another Ubuntu-based distro (Ubuntu Budgie 20.04) easily, it didn't work after rebooting. I even performed the install again in case I messed up the first time. In each case, I saw a big white box on the screen with a thick black border around it. Strangely, it also didn't work under Windows 10 either even with the right driver but who cares, right? Actually, I care, because the only reason I wanted something better than the onboard video to play games under Windows 10. But that's another story.

Suggestions are fine, but fair warning, I tried a LOT of things having to do with different outputs (DVI, VGA, HDMI) , different monitors, different BIOS settings, etc. So my main question is if anyone was able to get the GT 240 working under a Ubuntu-based distro or any Linux distro? And if you did, how?

I know this is a long shot but I thought someone might have tried this, perhaps Dougal? Any suggestions appreciated even if I tried them already.

And I'll ask again. If anyone has another Geforce-based card, even this same one (in case it's unstable), please let me know.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13