• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin reviewed positively on Distrowatch today

Started by buster, October 05, 2020, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

" It is asinine for an OS to force you to perform 3 mouse clicks"

Hummmm. When I shut down my stove after baking I turn the temperature setting to zero, turn the bake knob to off, turn off both the stove light and stove fan. Now I'm really angry!
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 13, 2020, 03:24:10 PM
" It is asinine for an OS to force you to perform 3 mouse clicks"

Hummmm. When I shut down my stove after baking I turn the temperature setting to zero, turn the bake knob to off, turn off both the stove light and stove fan. Now I'm really angry!

You have a stove light? Now I'm angry (and disappointed in my stove).
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Step away from this point, gentlemen. It's fruitless and straying from the original topic. Let's stick to Deepin's features not each other's idiosyncrasies. We all have them.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

1. I agree Jason, and I apologize (fingers crossed behind my back). But I think you have to admit the sequence about the stove was funny.

2. Years ago this kind of talk was called 'bantering', and it is allowed only among friends. Its intentions are benign and considered almost a friendly game.

3. I'm not sure we need to keep on topic since our mass of posters is down to 4, and our readership is mostly our 4 posters.

4. I think we need a website for welcoming people, and I'm more than willing to help with at least words, including humour, for that page. I have a few ideas. And then we can also start dropping our site into other forums we visit to increase traffic - quite innocently of course.

5. I've been sitting on a story for about 6 weeks that's complete, but I'd like an introductory webpage for the site first.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Yeah, I'll get around to putting the website up again... sometime. :) It's like when you tell your wife that you're going to get around to do something. "Honey, I told you six months ago I'd do something about it, so stop nagging me!" So, I've said months ago I was going to do it. I just never said when.

But I did take a short course on Wordpress which is the platform I'm going to use. I just have to take the admin side of it now. It's very nice. Like using a word processor. You could even put stuff up on it and I could edit, or vice-versa. It's flexible. So I'm closer than I was but not sure how far away I am.

As far as bantering goes, online, it's very hard to read how someone is saying something. And I felt it was getting a little bit over banter to becoming teasing. Not everyone likes teasing. I know that I don't. Just because someone doesn't express that it annoys them doesn't mean it doesn't.

And staying on topic is still important, because our posters might be limited but many other people do actually read our posts so keeping on topic is helpful if they're looking following a threat if it interests them. I know sometimes it's hard because there might be cursory subjects that border on the topic. Keeping topics focused is also why when a topic is 30 days old or even less in some case, you should start a new post. Focus on the user. Nobody wants to go through 20 pages of a thread with dates that go back months and may no longer relevant.

Case in point: I'm trying to get help with a specific mod for SMF (the Forum software). For support issues regarding that mod, there is one, just one, long topic. It goes for about 39 pages. And it goes back to 2011, many version of the mod back and many versions of SMF back. I can go to the end but then it's hard to follow in reverse order when users are responding to other users. It's an exaggerated example of a topic that should have been split off, at least by version or maybe for a specific problem instead of every problem in one topic.