• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin reviewed positively on Distrowatch today

Started by buster, October 05, 2020, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Jesse: "I found I liked deepin's approach to most things. The desktop was attractive, faster than it was in the past, and worked well with my hardware."

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20201005#deepin
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Ahh, the Link takes me to Jesse's review of Nitrux??
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I noticed that, too. Strangely, most of the comments refer to Deepin. Did Jesse pull the review and substitute it with Nitrux for some reason?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

My mistake. I should have posted a notice that says,

" Click this link only if you know how to use a computer, and only if your Internet works."

But I didn't so I accept the blame for that.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 06, 2020, 09:31:58 AM
My mistake. I should have posted a notice that says,

" Click this link only if you know how to use a computer, and only if your Internet works."

But I didn't so I accept the blame for that.

Huh? We weren't kidding you, Buster. The article wasn't there when we both visited. However, it's there now now. Wtf? That's "what the fuck" for the lass clever like a certain *ahem* older gentleman. So don't be a wise ass or I shall have to beat you with a stick. A Nerf stick, but a stick, nevertheless.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"The article wasn't there when we both visited."

Sure, sure. Next you're going to tell me the dog ate your homework.

I did read recently however that some failing video cards seem to bring in odd Internet artifacts, stray signals from who knows where. But the research on this is very new and esoteric.

buster

So I downloaded deepin and installed it in virtual. It needs and demands 4 gig ram and 64 gig space! Also the install, where I normally just let the default partitions fall where they might, it had produced an odd selection of partitions, including 1 /recovery, 2 /roots, 1 /boot, a swap and and at least 1 /home.

After using it for awhile, I couldn't think of any reason why I would want to keep using it, though everything worked fine.

It was like trying on a pair of shoes that just don't quite feel right. So it is gone now.

buster

I did manage to get some very nice desktop wallpapers from it, such as the one below. Harder to get than I thought it would be.

Jason

What page did you find those requirements on? The only one I saw was in the Installation guide that says it's 2 GB needed, 4 GB recommended and 25 GB to install. I wanted to see a screenshot of the partitions but you've already deleted it. :(

Btw, I noticed that the most review is of Nitrux. So there you have it, we were just seeing into the future. I guess your mind isn't advanced enough to do that yet. ;)

buster

"What page did you find those requirements on? "

I never read about that stuff, I just install. I wasn't allowed to install until I met those requirements. Maybe virtual is different. It knew it was a virtual install because it noted that and gave me some advice.

ssfc72

Buster, can you remember if Deepin was 1 click of the mouse, to shut it down or did it take multiple clicks?

Quote from: buster on October 12, 2020, 01:53:31 PM
So I downloaded deepin and installed it in virtual. It needs and demands 4 gig ram and 64 gig space! Also the install, where I normally just let the default partitions fall where they might, it had produced an odd selection of partitions, including 1 /recovery, 2 /roots, 1 /boot, a swap and and at least 1 /home.

After using it for awhile, I couldn't think of any reason why I would want to keep using it, though everything worked fine.

It was like trying on a pair of shoes that just don't quite feel right. So it is gone now.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

" Buster, can you remember if Deepin was 1 click of the mouse, to shut it down or did it take multiple clicks?"

That will take some thought. I know it wasn't in colour: it was definitely black and white words I clicked. And yes, it was maybe three clicks.

And that question reminds me of when fox was spending hours to save seconds on his boot time. Three clicks takes about 2 to 2 1/2 seconds. Do you turn off your computer 30, 40 times a day? And are you an extremely busy person? Or it it a sort of a challenge? And would this determine your choice of distro?

I sort of understand this kind of challenge, and it is interesting. But is it mostly a hobby, or does it matter a lot to you?

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 12, 2020, 09:26:22 PM
"What page did you find those requirements on? "

I never read about that stuff, I just install. I wasn't allowed to install until I met those requirements. Maybe virtual is different. It knew it was a virtual install because it noted that and gave me some advice.

Interesting. I've never seen that during an install before. So maybe it was that you're on a virtual machine as you guess.

ssfc72

It matters a great deal.  It is asinine for an OS to force you to perform 3 mouse clicks, to shut down the OS, when the logical, elegant way would be to only require 1 mouse click, to shut down an OS.
When I want to shut off my radio, I only need 1 operation, either a push of a button or a single turn of a knob.
When I want to shut down my TV, it is a single click of the remote.  It would be asinine, if you had to click your remote 3 times to shut down your TV.
When I want to shut off my stove, it is a 1 operation turn of a knob and does not force me to do 3 operations, to shut down.

Quote from: buster on October 13, 2020, 02:19:09 PM
" Buster, can you remember if Deepin was 1 click of the mouse, to shut it down or did it take multiple clicks?"

That will take some thought. I know it wasn't in colour: it was definitely black and white words I clicked. And yes, it was maybe three clicks.

And that question reminds me of when fox was spending hours to save seconds on his boot time. Three clicks takes about 2 to 2 1/2 seconds. Do you turn off your computer 30, 40 times a day? And are you an extremely busy person? Or it it a sort of a challenge? And would this determine your choice of distro?

I sort of understand this kind of challenge, and it is interesting. But is it mostly a hobby, or does it matter a lot to you?

Jason

I assume that pressing the power button once doesn't work to shut it down? If it only goes into sleep mode when you do that, adjust your power settings so pushing the button turns it off.