• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Google Nest Mini

Started by Jason, October 01, 2020, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Recently, I received a Google Nest Mini for free. I've have a Spotify Premium account for a couple of years or so. Spotify has a free version but the Premium has more features and is commercial-free. I contacted billing to change my billing date. They said to do that I'd have to cancel the premium service and then upgrade on the date on the billing date I wanted. That seemed awkward but I proceeded to do it. When the date arrived, I went to upgrade the service and guess what? For those getting a Premium account, they were giving away free Google Nest Minis (about a $70 USD value). Lucky me!

This Google device is fascinating. It's rounded and mostly covered in a speaker on top which is grey on a white body about the size of a small donut. The speaker sounds excellent, not tinny like you might expect. But I'm not a sound expert. It connects to wireless and, of course, it connects to Spotify. It's voice-controlled. So I say, "Hey, Google" and then tell it what to do. It is remarkable in how well it understands me. Previously, I'd felt that talking to technology would be awkward. I felt I'd be embarrassed if I was seen doing it and somehow that carried home. I've never used voice-control with Windows and I don't think many do.

But I love this little guy. It's about the size of a small donut and I use it as an alarm clock, timer, stereo, and to tell me the top news items in the morning. The volume can be controlled by voice as well or by touching one side or the other. I even tried it one night to play nature sounds to help with my insomnia. But that's not all it does. Besides uses I haven't thought of yet, there is more functionality. You can install "apps" which extend its abilities in ways both serious and for fun. You can get lights and thermostats that can be controlled by it as well.

If you're a Star Trek: The Next Generation fan, you'll remember Captain Picard asking his replicator for tea. That got me wondering so I said, "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot". And it replied, "Coming right up, Captain!" I was tickled. It has an on/off switch if you're concerned about Google or the NSA listening in while you're not using it.

If I hadn't received this free, I would never have gotten one. While I could do without it, it's handy and fun. Rather than tap through a bunch of buttons on my phone, I just talk. Of course, you can do the same thing with your Android phone, or iPhone of course. But the speaker wouldn't sound as good or as loud. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

You're not worried about Google using what this device "hears"? I would be.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on October 01, 2020, 03:41:37 PM
You're not worried about Google using what this device "hears"? I would be.

There is a power switch on it. But I'm not worried at this point. I realize that my life is pretty damn boring. And I'm not saying aloud any passwords or the nuclear launch codes. But when I'm in a personal call with others, I intend to turn it off. What do you think Google would learn from listening to me? It'd be mostly typing. It's not in the room where I chat with my wife.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13