• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

CloudLibrary running from Linux Distro

Started by ssfc72, September 30, 2020, 09:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So the Peterborough and Lindsay Library are now using a digital media service called CloudLibrary.
Using your library card number and password, you can access through your computer/device various ebooks, audiobooks etc.

Unfortunately, while CloudLibrary has download programs that will install a CloudLibrary program on your Windows computer or Android device, there is no program available to download for a Linux Distro.

So I thought I would give the Linux Wine program a try, on my Mint 19.1 Distro, to see if the Windows 7 CloudLibrary program, would install on Mint 19.1

I downloaded the Win 7 CloudLibrary program and right clicked on the CloudLibrary exe file and I was asked if I wanted to use the Wine program to install CloudLibrary.
The install went fine and after I put in my Library card number and password, I was taken to my CloudLibrary account, where I was able to continue to listen to my  audiobook, Operation Mincemeat, on my Mint 19 computer.  :-)    Yeah!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Chalk up another win for Linux! Great job, Bill and thanks for letting us know. It can be tricky getting programs to run under WINE, so it's fantastic it worked for you. If you think you can show the steps you followed unless it was super easy, it might make for a good zoom demo.

I've started to use CloudLibrary to read eBooks. I've even joined a book club! We had a zoom meeting last night to discuss our last book. I'll likely use CloudLibrary on the website when I'm not doing it on the tablet (which will be most of the time). I downloaded two books I'm reading so I have them while waiting for and on the bus. As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time doing both. My tablet has data but I like to save it for watching tv shows or YouTube videos the odd time. I used to do it when I was working out at the gym but I'm putting that off until the Spring with the spike in cases.

I don't believe that downloading works for audiobooks as I recall you saying it doesn't. I miss reading entire books, especially fiction novels. I read a lot but it's mostly news, tech and science articles. My ADD makes it more difficult for me to read for long periods. I have to really push myself to concentrate.

Keep at it, Bill. You never know what else you might be able to use WINE for running.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"The install went fine and after I put in my Library card number and password, I was taken to my CloudLibrary account, where I was able to continue to listen to my  audiobook, Operation Mincemeat, on my Mint 19 computer.  :-)    Yeah!"

Way to go Bill. And Mincemeat is a great story. Interesting that when the movie The Man Who Never Was appeared in our cinemas, the true story was known by a few people.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.