• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Early Look at elementary OS 6... (YouTube)

Started by Jason, September 25, 2020, 06:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The Linux Experiment channel on YouTube released a 7-minute video today with some first looks at the upcoming elementary OS 6 release. He was testing the daily build. He mentioned that the final version should be released before the end of the year.

It doesn't look like a lot has changed since the last time we looked at elementary but there are a lot of little touch-ups to the interface and the ability to use colour accents that allow more customization than in the past. There's several other interface tweaks that I'll let you see in the video if you're interested. Watchin the video, I was reminded again of how beautiful elementary OS is. It makes me consider another distro hop. I was thinking of building Arch with Pantheon but I'm not sure that it would look as great or have the same kind of functionality.

There is one feature that I haven't seen in another distro or at least not emphasized if it was. It's a font mode that makes text easier to read for those with dyslexia. I'll have to test this with my wife who has it.

The only problem I had with elementary in the past was that it didn't support the Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN client icon. It would load the PIA client if you had it set to autostart but you couldn't see that it was and you couldn't turn it off. But I've been playing with using the PIA browser extension since that's why I use it mostly.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Btw, the video is sponsored be Portmaster which, while it looks promising, prevented me from connecting to the internet after installation. So don't install it, at least not yet. Or make sure to do a Timeshift or some other system backup before you try it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13