• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Logitech Marathon Mouse

Started by Jason, September 23, 2020, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Bill's post on his Logitech keyboard and mouse combo inspired me to mention the best mouse that I've ever had - the Logitech Marathon Mouse (M705). I'm going to sound like a sales guy, but it's only because I really do love this mouse.

I'm right-handed and it fits my hand perfectly with a nice curved indent for my thumb. I don't think you'd want to use this mouse if you're left-handed. It takes 2 AA batteries which means longer battery life but that also means it's a bit heavier than single-battery mice. I prefer heavier mice myself as they don't wander around as easily. Since I use my mouse on my couch with a book as a mousepad balanced on a leg that's a necessity.

I can't attest to their claim of 3-years as I used rechargable batteries which don't last as long and I also use a my computer a lot more than most people. I think the 3-year battery life is probably based on using the mouse 3-4 hours a day and probably exaggerated. I'll start keeping track next time I change my batteries if anyone is interested.

But one of the reasons that I love this mouse is that it has two buttons on the side just above the thumb which act like back/forward buttons on the browser. You have no idea how much easier this makes things until you use it for awhile. When I grab my wife's mouse that doesn't have this feature, I'm constantly trying to use it. It makes it easier checking out search results, for example.

The other feature I like is the hyper-scroll wheel. In normal mode, it's just a typical scroll wheel. But if you're on a webpage that is quite long vertically and you're at the bottom, you click this button right below the scroll wheel and you're in "hyper" mode. Spin the wheel (it's frictionless in this mode) and you scroll right to the top! Click it again and you're back to normal mode. Strangely, the only documentation that came with it was the warranty. I didn't know what the button was for until I looked at the webpage linked above. I guess the pages I was looking at weren't long enough to see the difference in the scroll wheel.

I'm not sure I could ever go back to a regular mouse. It's normally about $70 in Canada but I was lucky to get it on sale at The Source for $40 back then. I'm not sure I'd pay $70 for a mouse, certainly not back then so I might have to keep my eye on another sale for when this one inevitably dies. You might be able to get it online for this price but I prefer to buy locally whenever I can.

If you check out some of the reviews, it gets pretty high marks, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for posting the review of your Logitech mouse, Jason.   Good info to know.  Seems like Logitech makes good products at a reasonable price.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on September 24, 2020, 03:31:30 AM
Thanks for posting the review of your Logitech mouse, Jason.   Good info to know.  Seems like Logitech makes good products at a reasonable price.

That seems to be my experience.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13