Author Topic: Keyless ignition cars/trucks very easy to steal  (Read 91 times)

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
Keyless ignition cars/trucks very easy to steal
« on: November 07, 2020, 04:54:30 am »
I stumbled upon this very good YouTube video from a Canadian guy who had his brand new Toyota truck stolen from his driveway, overnight.
This is a flaw for any vehicle with keyless ignition and a preventative solution.  I was very surprised on learning of this flaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQVov0Ra8g

Aditional info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61umo5VL98
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
Re: Keyless ignition cars/trucks very easy to steal
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:25:25 pm »
This is good to know although I'm probably a way off from getting a car personally. But I like to pass on important info to my non-technical friends. Is your vehicle affected, Bill?
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
My 2016 Subaru Outback does not have keyless ignition.

My cousin has a 2014? Nissan Roque and it does have push button start (keyless ignition???).
Some of the wireless fobs have a way to shut off their operation, so that their broadcast signal is stopped and therefore the signal can not be copied.  My cousin's fob for his Roque does not have a shutoff, so instead of buying the pouch to store the fob in, to block it's signal from being copied. he made up a pouch himself from tin foil and it works fine at blocking the radio frequency signal.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 01:36:30 pm »
That's clever.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata