• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Gnome OS (YouTube)?

Started by Jason, September 18, 2020, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Here's an Intriguing video. It's about 7 minutes long. It's not like the Gnome version of Neon but has a similar objective.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Neon is a full fledged distro, sort of, with Ubuntu as a base. Gnome seems to be less from the video, without a typical base I think. If they stuck it on say Ubuntu, and it could be used for awhile, even I, disliker of all thing Gnome, would have tried it.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I use Gnome almost exclusively, but on Ubuntu. In my opinion, their customized version of Gnome is better than pure Gnome or any other version of it I have seen. So my only potential interest in Gnome OS would be to experience the current version before Ubuntu gets it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Yeah, it's not really a distro because it doesn't have a package manager which is why I said it's not the Gnome version of Neon. But it's objective, like Neon, is to showcase the latest version of the desktop environment. Neon specifically says that's why they created it, too, although there's can be used as a distro since it's just Ubuntu with the most recent Plasma repositories.

It's usable but it's just Gnome apps, I believe. It's meant to demonstrate Gnome and all the installed software is built from source (which is explained in the video).
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13