• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Plug Mug Thursday Sept. 3, 7:30 pm, PetSmart/Tim Hortons, Monaghan Rd.

Started by ssfc72, August 29, 2020, 03:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Sorry but I wont be there tonight. We either start planning an elaborate dinner now, or I make my own simple dish. And at best it seems fifty-fifty there will be a meeting. Enjoy your get-together. Marilyn is already working in the kitchen.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Ok, the radar right now, is showing a band of severe weather, going to hit Peterborough about 7:30 or 8 pm.    So I am calling off the PLUG Mug for this evening.

I will try again, next week.

Jason, if you want to do a Jitsi group video chat, instead, I would be able to join that, this evening.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Rain hit our house in the north end at 8:31. Would have been an unpleasant ride home Bill.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Sorry guys about not setting up a video chat. I was at my brother's longer than I thought I would be and didn't get home until just before nine. We can do it over the weekend or try for an in-person week. I think the weather outlook looks decent for the weekend and a little cooler, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 03, 2020, 10:43:29 PM
Rain hit our house in the north end at 8:31. Would have been an unpleasant ride home Bill.

I was in the torrential downpour for about 5 minutes walking home from the bus stop. Glad I didn't walk from the transfer point which was 15 minutes away as in that 5 minutes, I was soaked through my clothing. I guess I could have skipped the shower I had earlier!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Did you not have an umbrella to take with you when you went out?  Maybe the rain was coming down sideways, with the wind and an umbrella would not have helped, anyways.  I have extra umbrellas if you need one.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Yes, I may have got blown off the road, with the wind, as well as getting wet, if I was riding the motorcycle.
If the rain had been later in the evening, after the get together was done, I would have brought my car, to get back home while driving through the rain.

Quote from: buster on September 03, 2020, 10:43:29 PM

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on September 03, 2020, 11:42:15 PM
Did you not have an umbrella to take with you when you went out?  Maybe the rain was coming down sideways, with the wind and an umbrella would not have helped, anyways.  I have extra umbrellas if you need one.

When you're walking around (i.e. don't have a car), carrying an umbrella is just one more thing that I have to handle so I don't bother usually. Drivers take for granted having a trunk or a car seat to put things. I have to carry empty reusable bags to the grocery store!

And as you say, when I have brought one, the wind has made it useless. And in Canada, it seems like wind with rain is a common occurrence. And when I come back home, I have no place to hang the umbrella or leave it open while it dries out. We have a small apartment so having somewhere to put something that is dripping with only one floor without carpetting can be a challenge. It's easier to just be wet, honestly. It's only bad when it rains when I'm going somewhere. It's not too bad when I'm coming home. :) I just take transit when the weather is bad.

But thanks for the offer of an umbrella. If it ends up being a rainy Autumn, I may try an umbrella again.