• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MXLinux KDE Plasma version, now available

Started by ssfc72, August 17, 2020, 01:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Thanks Bill. Takes me back ten years to when Mepis ruled with KDE on a Debian base, and that was my favourite everyday Linux.

Even though this is an RC release I think I'll try it. Xfce just doesn't work for me.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

From the picture shown on Distrowatch, it looks like they set up the Plasma desktop to resemble the XFCE version. Looks nice.

I noted that it uses the 4.18 kernel, which runs well on my 5k iMac. Any idea how long that kernel will be supported (by MX or Debian)?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Getting into the torrent file to download shows signs of a hammered server. Can't get in.

buster

buster

Stuff works better for me than it did in xfce - even drag and drop after some poking. Looks pretty good. Haven't looked too closely but have a feeling it's behind Kubuntu and way behind Neon for software releases, tho that doesn't affect me too much. Had to chase around to get Synaptic, figure things out. Older kernel if you have new equipment.

Sound worked with default Clementine.

Two sources for things - plasma and mxlinux. Bit weird. Lots of tools. My graphics tests were both good for a vm.

buster

SORRY: I am totally wrong on stuff. You can easily look up things from this photo.

fox

You made a nice looking desktop there, Buster. But I noticed on your image that your kernel is 5.6, not 4.18 as noted for MX 19.2 in DistroWatch. Did you do a kernel upgrade to get 5.6?

buster

As usual I did the absolute minimum. That apparently is the default for the plasma mx. I know you saw something different earlier. Maybe the xfce and plasma have different kernels ?

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 17, 2020, 10:52:19 AM
Getting into the torrent file to download shows signs of a hammered server. Can't get in.

That's odd because torrents should be easier to get when there are more people downloading since there are more peers. The only server is the one hosting the .torrent file which just list the servers that provide the initial seeding.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 17, 2020, 03:34:49 PM
Stuff works better for me than it did in xfce - even drag and drop after some poking.

Drag and drop within the OS filesystem or between the guest and host?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Between host and guest. Xfce just doesn't like me as a vm.

Suspect the addition of a Plasma desktop will make MXLinux even more popular. Am curious about the two kernels, but not curious enough t go looking.  :)

And Jason, the torrent site on the mx site just showed a 'we're trying' movement but never got in. The torrent site I found was on Distrowatch, but NOT the one on the front page, which didn't work either, but on the Monday Distrowatch Weekly torrent corner. Agree, a torrent site shouldn't have any hesitation, unless maybe a million hits confuses it I guess.

fox

Quote from: buster on August 17, 2020, 07:02:20 PM
Maybe the xfce and plasma have different kernels ?
On DistroWatch, the kernel information was for both XFCE and Plasma versions. According to this MX current release features site, the default kernel is 4.18, and 5.6 is available as AHS (advanced hardware system). So you must have installed it yourself.

buster

When the little green box showed bottom right (top left in their xfce desktop)I clicked and let it update packages. Never even watched. Do remember it didn't require a reboot.

Their manual that's on the desktop is, I think, the best and clearest manual of any distro in existence. And that fame goes right back to Mepis.

buster

Picked this up using a search for mx kde 19.2 kernel

"MX-19.2 KDE is an Advanced Hardware Support (AHS) enabled 64-bit only version of MX featuring the KDE/plasma desktop. Applications utilizing Qt library frameworks are given a preference for inclusion on the iso."

This would indicate the download iso I got has the newer kernel. However, if you have a geriatric computer that you're working with, you might be able to get a dusty old kernel installed after if it boots.