• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Security Systems Nation Wide Under Attack

Started by buster, August 13, 2020, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Here's an excerpt from the article:

ââ,¬Å"This malware represents a very significant threat,ââ,¬Â Keppel Wood, chief operations officer in the NSAââ,¬â,,¢s cybersecurity directorate, said in an interview. She added that national security systems, the Department of Defense, the defense industrial base and the larger cybersecurity community rely on Linux-based systems, meaning that ââ,¬Å"this threat has potential to be widespread, especially if network defenders donââ,¬â,,¢t take action against it.ââ,¬Â

Here is the article:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/fbi-and-nsa-disclose-malware-used-by-russia-s-fancy-bear-1.1479637

Administrator Note: We have a security section under Linux. That is the place to put topics like this. So I've moved it. :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Scary. As long as servers are updated, we're fine but so many system admins don't. It doesn't mention exactly how it gets control of a system but it must be some flaw. This article from Ars Technica explains more about why it's dangerous, that it is used to create a launchpad to attack other servers with more interesting information on them. I'm guessing this technique makes it very difficult to find the origins of the actual attacks.

What's really scary to me is the other things that the Russian group is doing like:

In August, Microsoft reported that the group had been hacking printers, video decoders, and other so-called Internet-of-things devices and using them as a beachhead to penetrate the computer networks they were connected to. In 2018, researchers from Ciscoââ,¬â,,¢s Talos group uncovered APT 28ââ,¬â,,¢s infection of more than 500,000 consumer-grade routers in 54 countries that could then be used for a range of nefarious purposes.

There are so many IoT (Internet of Things) devices out there that are either not patched or can't even be patched and there will be an increasing number of them. Add routers to that and it's like a virtual army.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13