• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Mug, Wed. Aug 12, 8 pm?? Tim Horton's, Monaghan Rd. parking lot

Started by ssfc72, August 09, 2020, 04:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

OK, the weather forecast for Wed. evening looks good, for a parking lot PLUG Mug.  Anyone interested?

Again, we should meet in the parking area near the Petsmart store, to get away from the traffic noise.  Bring your lawn chair. If you rather not grab something from Tim Hortons, then bring your own beverage and snack.

I would arrive at around 7:30 pm.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

If I can manage to get there, would it be alright if I brought Ms. Tao?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

As long as she wears a face mask, then that would be fine. ;-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Jason

I wonder if Fox is coming. So, just to clarify, go to the Petsmart parking lot after Tim Hortons. Don't meet up at Tim Hortons first, right?

ssfc72

Yes, I will probably have my motorcycle and I will wait in the parking lot, in front of the Petsmart store.

Jason

Okay, sounds good. It looks like it'll just be the three of us then unless somebody too shy to post here shows up. :)

buster

"just be the three of us then"

4 of us if you count Ms Dow. I'm picking her up on the way.

buster

Very pleasant evening with the four of us sitting in balmy weather outside the pet store, although it was a bit disconcerting to see Bill staring at Ms Tao most of the evening. Which she didn't seem to mind. When I drove her home she told me "Mr. Hopkins not married and live in Lindsay he say. He very shy but sort of charming in an innocent way." She said this the way people say it might rain tomorrow.

Her take on Jason was quite different. "He talks and thinks like an organizer. Should be organizer of your club." And this was said with the tone of someone saying they are going to buy groceries at Metro.

Just before she got out of the van she said to me, "You did not mention to them how much I help you solve computer problem."

To which I unwisely replied, "That one hard drive was one tiny bit of the solution. Almost not worth mentioning." This quickly proved to be the wrong response. Her reply was quick and curt.

"You very rude man!" And she got out of the van and walked to her door without looking back.

I suspect she will not be at any more meetings, unless maybe she comes looking for Bill.

Jason

An honest and accurate portrayal of the meeting, Buster. Well, at least the parts I observed. I have no idea what was actually discussed on the ride back. I suspect that you toned it down for more delicate ears. But is it Ms Tao or Ms Dow? Or is the Chinese vs. Anglicized version?

However, your description of the meeting was a little different than what I recall. I believe she said that you should be the organizer of the club, no? I think you misheard her as my memory of events is usually spot on.

ssfc72

I think Miss Tao was not impressed with my use of a motorcycle.  I think she is happy being chauffeured in Buster's nice van.

buster

" is it Ms Tao or Ms Dow? "

The word knight is pronounced nite, although long ago it was pronounce k -nick-t, which is known through the study of the poetry of Middle English. Spelling often doesn't match sound.

When that Chinese name symbol was first transcribed to our alphabet, for some reason it ended up as Tao, but the original pronunciation, Dow, was kept for speech.

Jason

So, which name shall you use, Mr. Encyclopedia? To use both versions will surely cause confusion in your future stories.

And by stories, I do not mean to say they are fictional for anyone else that might come upon them. Buster summarized the events above exactly as they happened.

For I was there to witness the encounter and I cannot tell a lie. Indeed, the very thought would never cross my mind. My friend, who heads up the Ethics department at his university, said most truthfully that, by any measure used, I am an ethical person. Although I'm paraphrasing, he did indeed say so when I asked for a character reference for my run at city council.

But enough about me, I look forward to Buster's future ministrations concerning Mrs. Tao/Dow and her advice concerning Buster's computer problem.