• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

BunsenLabs Linux Lithium, install as virtual Guest on MXLinux

Started by ssfc72, August 06, 2020, 09:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I saw on Distrowatch that there was a new version of BunsenLabs Linux, available.  I seem to recall that years ago, Fox was very impressed with this Distro, so I was curious to give it a try.

I installed it as a virtual Guest on my Dell XPS 13" notebook computer, which I had installed a very fast 500G SSD and has MXLinux as it's OS.
I had to first install the VMWare Play Station program.  The VMWare installer for Debian is a Bundle file which MXLinux wouldn't open, because the file size was to large (the File Manager said it would only open a fairly small size file).
So I went to the Terminal and had to use the sh command, as root, to get the BunseLabs bundle file to start the install process.

The virtual install of BunsenLab Linux went fine, but there were a very large number of questions asked throughout the install.  I actually had to type in " I understand" for one question (really!).  I felt like I was back in Grade 1, at school. :-)
This would not be a good install for anyone, new to Linux.

After the install, I was presented with a fairly black, blank Desktop with a block of text about shortcuts.
I had to right click on the Desktop to get a Menu to come up, in a small Window.
I went into Synaptic and got the VMWare Tools and then I was running with a glorious full Window.

Using MXLinux default browser (Firefox) I went to the Opera browser website and downloaded and installed Opera.

I was doing this, after I woke up at 1:30 am, so that was as far as I got, at this time. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

I'm worn out just reading this Bill. I think I'm getting a headache.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Strangely, I woke up almost around the same time. Must be ESP. I thought one of our cats had peed on the blanket and pillow. Turns out it was me. I seem to be often waking up in a cold sweat. Must be man-o-pause. Not BunsenLabs-related but I thought I'd share anyway.

Your notes make me curious enough that I might give it a try. I'm thinking of installing Manjaro as my main driver, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I knew that Lithium was out, but I have yet to try it. I don't think Buster will like it, as openBox is a pretty sparse window manager. But I expect that it will be nimble and not use much RAM or drive space.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

If you go to their website, https://www.bunsenlabs.org/  ,  they have some interesting desktop screenshots examples.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service