• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Chromium on Mint 20

Started by fox, July 14, 2020, 07:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Can anyone locate an actual Chromium .deb file to install on Mint 20? I can't believe how difficult Mint has made it to do so. I'm fine with them removing Snaps, and I don't want to install it through a Snap. I also don't want to install it by adding a Debian repository; I figure that's just asking for trouble. Meanwhile, I just installed Chrome, which has a .deb file that installs on Mint. I normally use Firefox, but occasionally something works better in Chromium or Chrome, so I like to have it available.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Can anyone locate an actual Chromium .deb file to install on Mint 20?"

What if you  searched on getting a deb file for Ubuntu? That should work shouldn't it?

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Nope. Searching just gets you to a PPA. I don't want to install a PPA on Mint.

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Nothing on Ubuntu, but I don't want it on Mint.

buster

"What is wrong with a PPA?"

You do know that PPA is short for 'Probably a Problematic App'. I mean, everybody knows that!
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I think if you check, you'll find that Chrome setup a PPA for you unknowingly.

Anyway, it looks like the only way to install it now is as a snap or through an unofficial PPA; it's not in the official channels anymore as far as I can tell.

Why are you worried about PPAs in Linux? Just curious.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Chrome was not installed in Mint with a PPA. I downloaded the .deb file and installed it. When I checked in Software Sources, there was no PPA.

Not worried about PPA's in Ubuntu; I have several of them. But I recall reading that PPA's are a Ubuntu thing and there are potential problems with using them in other Debian-based distros - potential conflicts with other stuff in the distros' repositories?

Jason

Quote from: fox on July 14, 2020, 04:28:25 PM
Chrome was not installed in Mint with a PPA. I downloaded the .deb file and installed it. When I checked in Software Sources, there was no PPA.

I downloaded the deb file, too. But I checked again and realized it was an ordinary Chrome repository.

Not worried about PPA's in Ubuntu; I have several of them. But I recall reading that PPA's are a Ubuntu thing and there are potential problems with using them in other Debian-based distros - potential conflicts with other stuff in the distros' repositories?

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so PPAs should work fine in it. I think maybe you're thinking of LMDE which you shouldn't use PPAs in. I'm not even sure if it allows you to do that with a Debian-based distro. But this article points out how PPAs, in general, can harm your system, something which I previously never thought about. As to how often this happens, I have no idea. I guess it would depend on if a newer version of the PPA software upgrades dependencies where other programs need the older version.

With snap packages, you don't have to worry about that.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13