• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Amarok music player - scrolling lyrics not working

Started by ssfc72, July 14, 2020, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

"I have Mint 19.1 on this notebook computer.
In my Clementine install, clicking on "song info" does nothing
In Amarock, clicking on Lyrics does nothing.
Yes, I am connected to the Internet."

Bill, by any chance my unlucky man, are you running that piece of crap desktop interface Xfce? I've used Clementine easily on KDE and Cinnamon.

By the way I can never get drag and drop to work with an Xfce desktop guest. It is a bit stripped down.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 15, 2020, 02:28:19 PM
Use Clementine.

I have a tiny amount of mp3 files. I use Spotify for streaming music and it can play those files, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 15, 2020, 06:01:22 PM
Bill, by any chance my unlucky man, are you running that piece of crap desktop interface Xfce? I've used Clementine easily on KDE and Cinnamon.

Not sure why that would matter. The Desktop Environment should be independent of the software. Occasionally the appearance is messed up if a program was designed in Gnome, for example, and you use it in Plasma. But functionality shouldn't be changed unless the program depends on software from the other DE which dependencies should resolve.

One thing you could try is turning off your VPN temporarily. Maybe the website for lyrics (if there's just one) is blocking VPNs.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"The Desktop Environment should be independent of the software."

Agreed, but I found using open-vm-tools-desktop depended very much on the desktop, including MXLinux, Ubuntu Lite, and I believe Ubuntu Mate. However Plasma, Cinnamon and Deepin all work well.

Just tested Peppermint, and the scrolling worked, and I think it uses a combo desktop taken from Xfce and Lubuntu.

Bill, if you are really wanting to follow this up, I can install Mint 19.3 xfce and test it.  it. Should take about about 20 minutes. Far better for you to install Clementine on your Win 10 and test it. But out of curiosity I can try it if you want.

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 15, 2020, 07:32:48 PM
"The Desktop Environment should be independent of the software."

Agreed, but I found using open-vm-tools-desktop depended very much on the desktop, including MXLinux, Ubuntu Lite, and I believe Ubuntu Mate.

Yeah, but that's different because it involves a package intimately tied to the VM. The DE has to "talk" to the host.

I was following up on your supposition to Bill that Xfce might be to blame for Clementine not working properly. I don't think he's running LM 19.3 in a VM guest although maybe I missed that. I could see it not looking right. For example, transmission looks really weird in Kubuntu until you install the qt version of it. It's fully functional, it just looks terrible.

buster

Well now William. The problem has to reside with the computer, the Mint install, or the person tapping the keys. Put the xfce mint 19.3 in virtual and it played and showed the lyrics instantly.

This is the bringer of bad news, signing off. Try to get some sleep tonight, maybe watch a black and white movie from the old days. Maybe switch to Microsoft or Apple.

Buster

ssfc72

I am running Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
I am not using any VPN.

I am going to use my other notebook computer, which is a Dell XPS 13 running MXLinux and see if I can get Amaroke or Clementine to show the Lyrics of a song that I play.

Quote from: buster on July 15, 2020, 06:01:22 PM
"I have Mint 19.1 on this notebook computer.
In my Clementine install, clicking on "song info" does nothing
In Amarock, clicking on Lyrics does nothing.
Yes, I am connected to the Internet."

By the way I can never get drag and drop to work with an Xfce desktop guest. It is a bit stripped down.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

No luck with the Dell XPS 13" with Lyrics showing on MXLinux with the Clementine player.  I downloaded a music song from YouTube.

Buster, is your music player subscribed to some sort of internet music service?  Both Amoroke and Clementine have a whole list of music streaming services and cloud file storage sites, but you have to pay for most subscriptions and logon to the services.  Maybe that is why you get the Lyrics showing up?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

" I downloaded a music song from YouTube."

I suspect that wont work. The file you got wont have the necessary info built into it I think. If you can, go to tpb and, with your vpn running, download say a popular Joni Mitchell album and try that after you turn your vpn off.

I subscribe to nothing really, not even Spotify. Right after the install it just worked - the lyrics showed when I clicked Lyrics in Amarok, and song info in Clementine. Last few days I tested this in 6 different OS's. They all worked.

MXLinux could be a problem as well, tho not sure why it would be. Xfce is not a favourite of mine.

buster

Sorry Bill.

I downloaded MXLinux and the install took under 10 minutes. Getting the stupid thing to work took another 30 - open-vm-tools!!!!

Anyway, got Clementine running, an album that I know worked, and lo and behold, the lyrics showed when I clicked Song Info. I even took a picture of it.

Hmmmmmm. Give me a call Bill and we'll chat. There has to be something simple.

ssfc72

I don't know what I changed, but the Lyrics to the Joni Mitchell song and Phil Collins song are now showing in Clementine????  This is on my Dell Inspiron notebook with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

I will try the Dell XPS 13" notebook with MXLinux and Clementine and see if I can also get the Lyrics to now start being shown.

buster

The mysteries of software. Good ending to the struggle.

Jason