• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Amarok music player - scrolling lyrics not working

Started by ssfc72, July 14, 2020, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Ok, so I installed Amarok on my Mint 19.1 notebook computer. I downloaded an mp3 Phil Collins song but Amarok said there were no lyrics.

The song was an mp3 file, so I suspect maybe I would have to rip the songs from a music CD, in order to get Amarok to scroll the lyrics???
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

" Amarok said there were no lyrics."

It's probably not a problem at Amarok's end. It's probably at the site where the lyrics come from. Take a look at included link, and if the lyrics are there, find a spot in Amarok (preferences?) that can turn the site on. Something in there should do it. However there are all kinds of songs without their lyrics uploaded. I have an album where only about half the songs show lyrics.

https://www.lyrics.com/
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Remember in the olden days, Bill, that songs would show artwork with certain music programs? It wasn't included with the MP3 file, it used certain internet sites that have album art with the MP3 and matched it. Same here. It pulls the info from a lyric directory or directories online.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

So, I still can't get the Lyrics to show.  Seems to be setup for Lyrics and I don'y see anything else to setup.
In trying to get the Lyrics to show I manage to get Amarok to crash.  It complained that there was no KDE Text editor. I went into synaptic and the only KDE text editor I could see, was installed.
Amarok kept crashing and complaining about " no KDE text editor"
I uninstalled and then re-installed Amarok and still got the crashing and "no KDE text editor, complaint. :-(

I then installed and tried Clementine.  I was unable to get the Lyrics to show. :-(
It looked to me, from the Preferences that Clementine was setup for Lyrics.
As per help from Buster, I downloaded the song, Song To A Seagull by Joni Mtchell, as an mp3 file, from YouTube. The song played but there were no Lyrics. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

Seems to make no sense Bill.

-you are on the Internet as you test?
-in Clementine you click song info bottom left, or in Amarok lyrics bottom centre?
-you are in Mint 19.3?
-did you hit your laptop with a hammer?
-have you been reading your Bible?

Baffles me. Minutes ago tested Clemetine in Win10 and Mint 20. Perfect in both! Whatver the problem is, it affects both pieces of software.

Included a picture of Clementine playing on Mint 20. Note the similarities to Amarok. Clementine is a fork of Amarok, and plays on Linux, Win10 and apple machines.

Could someone else test it?

buster

And just for good luck, I tested it in Kubuntu with a different album, a Canadian jazz singer. I have never done anything ever to get Clementine or Amarok to work. They just do.

And here's another pic to make you gnash your teeth in frustration Bill. Taken on Kubuntu 20.

buster

I know, this is 3 posts in a few minutes, but I think Clementine is worth considering for your music software. The following is the description given by Synaptic:

Clementine is a multiplatform music player focusing on a fast and
easy-to-use interface for searching and playing your music.

Summary of included features :
- Search and play your local music library.
- Listen to internet radio from SomaFM, Magnatune, Jamendo, Intergalactic FM,
   Digitally Imported, JAZZRADIO.com, ROCKRADIO.com, RadioTunes.com,
   Soundcloud, Icecast and Subsonic servers.
- Search and play songs you've uploaded to Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and
   OneDrive.
- Create smart playlists and dynamic playlists.
- Tabbed playlists, import and export M3U, XSPF, PLS and ASX.
- CUE sheet support.
- Play audio CDs.
- Visualisations from projectM.
- Lyrics and artist biographies and photos.
- Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
- Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
- Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
- Discover and download Podcasts.
- Download missing album cover art from Last.fm.
- Native desktop notifications using libnotify.
- Remote control using an Android device, a Wii Remote, MPRIS or the
   command-line.
- Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player.
- Queue manager.

It is largely a port of Amarok 1.4, with some features rewritten to take
advantage of Qt4.

buster

By the way, all Ubuntu derivatives have a mistake - Clementine downloads but wont open. Use this after the download:

sudo apt install akonadi-backend-sqlite

Jason

If it helps, the default KDE text editor is called Kate. But i have no idea why it would want to open this.

buster

"If it helps, the default KDE text editor is called Kate. But i have no idea why it would want to open this."

Agree. I doubt I have Kate on my Mint 19.3 that plays Amarok.

Jason

Strangely, I can't find Amarok in the list of packages for Kubuntu 20.04 or Linux Mint 20. Perhaps they found the problem you're having now with the crashing and lyrics not coming up and they pulled it from the repo that it came from?

Is this you, Buster?

buster

"Strangely, I can't find Amarok in the list of packages for Kubuntu 20.04 or Linux Mint 20. "

Amarok is no longer available in any of the new distros. It has pretty well expired.

Use Clementine.

ssfc72

I have Mint 19.1 on this notebook computer.
In my Clementine install, clicking on "song info" does nothing
In Amarock, clicking on Lyrics does nothing.
Yes, I am connected to the Internet.

Quote from: buster on July 15, 2020, 09:46:05 AM
Seems to make no sense Bill.

-you are on the Internet as you test?
-in Clementine you click song info bottom left, or in Amarok lyrics bottom centre?
-you are in Mint 19.3?
-did you hit your laptop with a hammer?
-have you been reading your Bible?

Baffles me. Minutes ago tested Clemetine in Win10 and Mint 20. Perfect in both! Whatver the problem is, it affects both pieces of software.

Included a picture of Clementine playing on Mint 20. Note the similarities to Amarok. Clementine is a fork of Amarok, and plays on Linux, Win10 and apple machines.

Could someone else test it?