• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Mint upgrade now available

Started by fox, July 09, 2020, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

So...... while it rained I upgraded a different virtual Mint to 20.

1. It is significantly quicker on a better machine.

2. drag and drop didn't work. Had to delete and reinstall open-vm-tools-desktop. Easy enough to figure out, but still a pain.

While one computer was doing this I was listening to Joni Mitchel on a different Mint 19.3 system which is attached to really good speakers. To fully appreciate her you have to, in my opinion, read the lyrics of the poetry of the songs as you listen. I was using Amarok which scrolls the lyrics as they progress with her voice.

3. Amarok is discontinued upstream in Debian Buster. Even the new Kubuntu doesn't have it. So need some kind of replacement that shows lyrics - not easy. RhythmBox doesn't do lyrics.

4. Used Synaptic to get Clementine. It starts to open and shuts down.

Thought I might leave Mint 19.3 forever on my best linux machine. Did research today and found it's not just me. Need

sudo apt install akonadi-backend-sqlite

So I'll test this sometime. No rush. Time to get outside in the cool weather.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Used sudo apt install akonadi-backend-sqlite after a walk. Told I had to allow a new library scan, and this turned out not to be a scan of music files, but of all the libs in Linux. Took awhile but it worked.

Clementine does display the lyrics, but does not scroll them. Manageable.

My Mint beta that I upgraded to Mint 20 had a similar problem as well I think. No longer sure anymore I've done so  much with 4 Mint systems. Probably be fixed by Mint personnel soon.

Whole thing like using Linux 15 years ago.

ssfc72

Thanks for the mention about the use of Amarok to listen to songs and see the lyrics, Buster.
You must have to do something to get Amarok to go get the lyrics on the internet.  Maybe you could post a separate topic on the Forums, on Amarok and setting up lyrics to be streamed while a song is being played?
I am still running Mint 19.1 so it appears Amarok is still available through Synaptic.

Quote from: buster on July 12, 2020, 10:16:46 AM
So...... while it rained I upgraded a different virtual Mint to 20.

1. It is significantly quicker on a better machine.

2. drag and drop didn't work. Had to delete and reinstall open-vm-tools-desktop. Easy enough to figure out, but still a pain.

While one computer was doing this I was listening to Joni Mitchel on a different Mint 19.3 system which is attached to really good speakers. To fully appreciate her you have to, in my opinion, read the lyrics of the poetry of the songs as you listen. I was using Amarok which scrolls the lyrics as they progress with her voice.

3. Amarok is discontinued upstream in Debian Buster. Even the new Kubuntu doesn't have it. So need some kind of replacement that shows lyrics - not easy. RhythmBox doesn't do lyrics.

4. Used Synaptic to get Clementine. It starts to open and shuts down.

Thought I might leave Mint 19.3 forever on my best linux machine. Did research today and found it's not just me. Need

sudo apt install akonadi-backend-sqlite

So I'll test this sometime. No rush. Time to get outside in the cool weather.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

BusterE

"You must have to do something to get Amarok to go get the lyrics on the internet.  Maybe you could post a separate topic on the Forums, on Amarok and setting up lyrics to be streamed while a song is being played?"

No. Lets do it right here, though it is a long and arduous process. (May require a PhD in Engineering!)

1. Turn on your computer.
2. Open Amarok.
3. Play some music that you have as a file. Have another album ready in case no one did the lyrics.
4. Try to get Amarok to look like the included picture, tho other configurations work too.
5. Near the bottom if you poke about, you should see the button to click that says 'lyrics'.
6. Click this.
7. Try a different album if this doesn't work.

The REAL problem is getting it set up so the 'lyrics' button shows.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

fox

I did the Mint 20 upgrade on my regular SSD partition. Much, much faster than on the spinning drive; took under an hour. All seems to be working fine.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

That's pretty quick. Much of my time was used before the upgrade doing updates and using Timeshift.

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 11, 2020, 10:49:58 PM
" you can log in and change it"

I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT!"

I like having most of my systems such that I can't reply right away. Now to reply I have to make an effort. And when I think about it for awhile, I realize a reply isn't necessary. And then I get off the stupid computer and do something else.

You said that you forgot it. So, you can't reply at all on those machines, right? That's why I was suggesting that I could reset it for you. But if you have no use of the Buster account, cool. I thought you still used it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

" if you have no use of the Buster account, cool. I thought you still used it."

I'm using the Buster account right now! I don't know the password, but my trusty laptop does.

ssfc72

If you are using Win 10 on that laptop, the the following Link might show you what you password is.  I haven't tried this myself, but it might be an interesting project for you to delve into.
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/find-hidden-saved-passwords-windows/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Did you just give a Windows 10 tip here, Bill? Back to the woodshed for you, young man! ;-)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

I was feeling left out so I downloaded Linux Mint 19.3 and installed it on a virtual machine and installed all the updates. Then I upgraded it to LM 20. It took about 25 minute and went without a hiccup. I wonder if maybe those that had 2 hours or more was a result of downloading when it was first released? Or perhaps having some third party repos or PPAs enabled before doing the upgrade?

BusterE

" It took about 25 minute and went without a hiccup."

Showoff. Could be we can't afford all your fancydan new equipment and have to use old disguarded stuff we got from dumpsters.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Quote from: BusterE on July 14, 2020, 08:04:48 PM
" It took about 25 minute and went without a hiccup."

Showoff. Could be we can't afford all your fancydan new equipment and have to use old disguarded stuff we got from dumpsters.

I was actually had my i5 given to me. :) But it might have went easily because because there were no other packages installed. It was a vanilla install.