• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The 39 Steps - audio book, very good

Started by ssfc72, July 07, 2020, 04:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

You may have seen the excellent Alfred Hitchcock, 1939 movie The 39 Steps (or other good movies based on this book) of spies in England just before WW1.
YouTube has a couple of different audio books selections. The audio book is an exact reading of the original book, while the movies are not a true version of the book.  It is interesting how much the movies differ from the book.
The audio book on YouTube, that I like is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-i92aqoJdY

The Thirty-Nine Steps - FULL Audio Book - by John Buchan
Richard Hannay's boredom is soon relieved when the resourceful engineer is caught up in a web of secret codes, spies, and murder on the eve of WWI. This exciting action-adventure story was the inspiration for Alfred Hitchcock's 1939 classic film of the same name. John Buchan (1875-1940) was Governor General of Canada and a popular novelist. Although condemned by some for anti-Semitic dialog in The Thirty-Nine Steps, his character's sentiments do not represent the view of the author who was identified in Hitler's Sonderfahndungsliste (special search list) as a "Jewish sympathiser." (Summary by Adrian Praetzellis)

Use the 4K Video Downloader program to capture this audio book, for listening on your cell phone or MP3 player.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Governor-General and a noted author. We definitely have had a variety of GGs having had an author, a journalist, an astronaut, etc.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

It sounds terrible to say, but I enjoyed the 1959 version rather than Hitchcock's 1935 film.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-39-steps1959
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

BusterE

And is the audio book in black and white, since it was written so long ago?
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

ssfc72

As i listened to it, it was in glorious colour and panavision. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

I liked Hitchcocks 1939 version the best.  It has the great actor Richard Donat and I believe it had the character "Mr. Memory" which was the climax of the movie. 

Quote from: BusterE on July 07, 2020, 05:41:34 PM
It sounds terrible to say, but I enjoyed the 1959 version rather than Hitchcock's 1935 film.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-39-steps1959

Edit:   Thanks Buster, correction, yes the film was done in 1935.  :-)    The YouTube info I was using, was wrong.
With all this conversation about the movie, I think I will have to watch the 1935 version again. :-)