• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Covid - stores no longer limiting customers?

Started by ssfc72, July 07, 2020, 04:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Just lately I have found that 2 stores in Lindsay, Food Basics and Canadian Tire, are no longer limiting the number of people in their stores.  Neither one has no longer, a person at the entrance, to keep track of the number of customers going into the store.

There is no way they can have an accurate count of the number of people in the store, without having a person at the entrance /exit to allow one customer in, when one customer leaves.  I believe the Emergency conditions are still in effect and that the stores are suppose to have perhaps only 50 %  shoppers, capacity.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I don't think there is any rule that it has to be 50% capacity and I'm not even sure what that means with a grocery store. Fifty-percent of the most they've had in the store? How would they even know what the number was?

I believe the provincial guidance is just that they limit how many are in the store at one time to allow for easier social distancing, not a specific amount. Did a search and found this:

QuoteWhile grocery, pharmacy, convenience, gas stations, automotive, hardware, safety supply and garden centres are considered ââ,¬Ëœessentialââ,¬â,,¢ in Ontario, everyone is allowed to open so long as reduce the number of customers to a level that ensures customers can remain 2 metres away from one another. Retails without an external entrance in the Municipality of Leamington and the Town of Kingsville remained closed.

Source: Retail Council of Canada: COVID-19 Requirements for Retailers by Region

I guess if they see it's really busy that they can then put someone at the door to limit it. I've noticed sometimes at Superstore there is no one at the door and when I went in there weren't many people there. When you went into the stores, were there many customers inside?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Yes, both stores were busy with customers.  It appeared to me that there were more people in there, than there should have been, to be at 50% capacity.

Every store/business in Ontario has a posted limit of the maximum number of people that are allowed in the store.  This is a fire safety requirement and is based on the size (square footage) of the store.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 07, 2020, 05:05:35 AM
Yes, both stores were busy with customers.  It appeared to me that there were more people in there, than there should have been, to be at 50% capacity.

Every store/business in Ontario has a posted limit of the maximum number of people that are allowed in the store.  This is a fire safety requirement and is based on the size (square footage) of the store.

Good point about the maximum for fire regulations. But the 50% capacity isn't a regulation, just the distancing is. I suppose that is up to each store to figure out but health inspectors do go around to check that the effort is made. Perhaps you could let the stores know of your concern? How many cases are there in your area now?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I was by the Food Basics store today and there was a line up,  so they must be again, controlling the number of customers. Maybe it is the peak times, like the mornings, that they find they need to control the number of customers.
There was no line up at the Lindsay Canadian Tire, when i walked by this morning,  so it looks like CTC may still not controlling the number of customers.
The daily COVID count in the Kawathas has been around 1 case.

Jason

I was thinking that might be the case, that they just control it when they know it's busy or when they can eye that there are too many people. I've usually noticed someone at Superstore but not always. When I've been there evenings, there is someone but no lineup, he's just waved me by even surprised that I was waiting for him to do so. Maybe if you cough a team of guys tackles you to the grown and covers you with lysol.

Jason

Btw, I saw that your health unit will require masks to be worn in many indoor public spaces starting July 13, 2020. I wish Peterborough region would do the same. I don't see enough people wearing masks in the stores. I think the article was in Peterborough This Week. Ottawa is doing the same thing and Toronto, if I'm not mistaken.

ssfc72

Yes, I just read that, as well.  I think the current Ontario Emergency status is due to expire shortly.  If they don't extend it, then the wearing of masks, which falls under the Emergency conditions, will no longer be valid.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 08, 2020, 05:43:43 AM
Yes, I just read that, as well.  I think the current Ontario Emergency status is due to expire shortly.  If they don't extend it, then the wearing of masks, which falls under the Emergency conditions, will no longer be valid.

Oh, it will definitely be extended. Even if we move into stage 3, the government will still need to give authority to Public Health agencies to enforce social distancing and group size, and prevent re-opening of movie theatres, concert halls and the like. We won't be returning to complete normality for some time to come.

Ford is also going to introduce legislation (that will definitely be passed) that would allow the period of the state of emergency to last up to 2 years. I don't think it'll be for that long but it shows that he wants to have that tool available.

Here's a better article about getting the power to extend the state of emergency without having to renew it every month. I guess it's up a year, not 2 years but it would let the Premier to renew it for one year.