• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fresh install of Ubuntu has snap - here's how to remove it

Started by Jason, June 30, 2020, 08:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I was surprised that Ubuntu, even with a fresh install has the snap installer built-in.. As far as I can see there are not snaps installed with it. I discovered that's not the case, see the reply to this post.

While I'm okay with these kinds of package formats generally (e.g. snaps, flatpaks and AppImages), I recently found out that snap is proprietary to Ubuntu (i.e. no one else can use it). So I removed snap from my system. Here's how to do it in Ubuntu-based distros.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

There seems to be one issue with this tip that I just discovered but may not matter to experienced users. The Software Center disappears. I guess it was a snap. Since Ubuntu doesn't come with Synaptic by default, you'll need to either download it or the software center using the Command-Line Interface (CLI) or terminal. The commands are:

For both (updates the list of packages from the repo)
sudo apt update

For Software Center:
sudo apt install gnome-software

For synaptic:
sudo apt install synaptic

I'm not sure if any other software was installed in Ubuntu as a snap.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13