• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Apple hardware transitioning to ARM CPU (PC World)

Started by Jason, June 29, 2020, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Apple is moving to ARM processors. ARM processors are already used in iPads and Apple claims that the iPad gets better perfomance than Intel-based processors. That seems doubtful to me but if so, I think it's more likely that it's because of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) subsystem and not the CPU (central processing unit). I'm not sure why they're doing it than to save money. Since the transition is happening later this year, you probably don't want to buy a Mac until after that happens.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I doubt that I would want to buy a Mac even after the transition. I haven't found anything compelling about new Mac computer models since 2015. The iPad is a different story. I find them really first rate and the prices are reasonable. Their lowest iPad model can do pretty much what the higher-end models can do (though not as well), and the price is right. The new MacBook Air isn't bad, price and quality-wise if you like the MacOS. But I would sooner buy a Dell xps 13 for pretty much the same money, to run with Linux.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13