• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fake Contact Tracing Phone Apps with crypto locking malware

Started by ssfc72, June 24, 2020, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

A number of very authentic looking websites have been shut down, that were pretending to be government of Canada sites with Android Apps with Contact Tracing for the COVID virus.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hackers-target-canadians-with-fake-covid-19-contact-tracing-app-disguised-as-official-government-software

The lesson here is, not to download any such type of App, unless it is found in the Google Play Store.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

There's always somebody taking advantage of every situation. It's sad, really.

What I find odd about this is that if the app had to be downloaded from outside the Google store, you would get a warning when you tried to do this, that it's risky or potentially dangerous to do so.

Android 9 seems to be particularly careful. On my phone which uses Android 9, it gives you 3 warnings. One when you download, one to tell you that you can't run the app from outside sources unless you click settings and then toggle it. Under that toggle is another warning. I didn't' think in Android 7 and 8 that you could even install outside apps unless you turned on developer mode under system settings first but maybe it asks you, too (see below how you can check). So these websites that get people to download these malware apps have to convince users to bypass the warning(s).

Sometimes, you can only get apps outside the store. You just have to be very careful from where you get them. For example, F-Droid is an app that is a catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications. There are others. I don't know the reasoning other than that the Google store requirements are too stringent in some cases for certain projects.

Btw, there is an actual app from the Government of Canada related to COVID-19. It mainly offers a daily check (for Health Canada data), an assessment and recent media releases from different levels of government. I find the last part to be the most useful.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service