• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Website and PLUG 2.0

Started by Jason, June 23, 2020, 06:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm considering getting rid of the main website front-end (not the forum) as it's really not used for much. It was the frontpages at https://plugintolinux.ca. They're down now but I'm sure you remember what little was there. It used to be that it gave info on upcoming monthly PLUG meetings. But I don't see those monthly meetings happening in the near future for a few reasons:

• While we're allowed now to have meetings with physical distancing with up to 10 attendees, I think it's unlikely Applewood is going to be hosting meetings in the near future.
  • I'm no longer going to be continuing as President and I don't think anyone else is so there won't be anyone to organize face-to-face meetings, set them up, collect membership fees and pay for the room rentals.
  • It really didn't have any information, other than announcing upcoming meetings which we can do in the forum or through the announcement list.
  • It's a pain to update the front-page software (Drupal) - there seems to be updates to Drupal almost every month and no built-in update mechanism so it's like reinstalling it every month.
The other alternative is just to use a static page at the front-end that just gives info on what PLUG is, when we have meetings (when we pick regular weekday and times) and what kind of members we have.

Therefore, I've decided, unless someone else wants the job , that the immediate future of PLUG will be online meetings and face-to-face meetings within cafes or restaurants when the health authorities and government say it safe to do so. I'm calling it PLUG 2.0. That decision is for a couple of reasons:

• The face-to-face and online meetings are easy to organize and moderate. For demos, members can show what they've recenty been doing or articles that they've found.
  • Regular meetings in a rented room cost more than we can afford. We weren't even covering the rentals and banking fees, not even considering the webites hosting. Fees were going to be increased in April from $25 to $35 to cover those costs.
Let me know what you think, though I won't promise to change my mind. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13