• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Boot a Raspberry Pi 4 from an SSD or USB stick

Started by fox, June 21, 2020, 07:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

There is now a stable firmware updater that allows one to boot a Raspberry Pi 4 directly from an external USB device like an SSD or USB stick. A youtube video showing how to get and install the firmware updater is shown here. Having the operating system on a fast drive instead of an SD card makes it work much faster, and having the boot image on one of these devices makes it more stable over time.

Now all I have to do is buy an rPi 4.  :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

I just checked the buyapi.ca website and  it appears that the shipping ($11 CDN) is the same amount whether you buy 1 Pi or 2 PI's.

Mike, I would think you might get an Education discount, otherwise if you want to save on the shipping, I am also looking at buying another Pi.  We could join our orders.
I am looking at getting the 2 G Pi plus the accessories.   The 8 G Pi is still out of stock.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I'm not aware of any educational discounts for buying a Raspberry Pi. Interesting that buyapi has the 8gb kit in stock but not the bare pi. Why wouldn't you get one with at least 4gb? - future-proof as they say.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Yikes, almost $200 plus shipping plus tax for the 8G RPi 4 kit.

$30 extra just to go from 2 G Ram to 4 G, on the RPi 4 board.   My RPi 3B only has 1 G Ram, so 2 G would be even better, with the RPi 4B.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service