• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Best new Desktop Environment for a new user

Started by Jason, June 16, 2020, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Edit:  Oops, I see now that this Distro is no longer supported. :-(        How about a Distro for gaming such as Game Drift Linux.

Also a search turned up this info
https://itsfoss.com/linux-gaming-distributions/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, maybe the games she plays under Windows can be played under Linux with WINE. "

Would I be criticized for pointing out that it doesn't make sense to install Linux mostly to play Microsoft games that run perfectly on the original Win10 OS? And to have to deal with WINE to do it?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Yes. :-)

Running Linux avoids the freezing/slowing down of my computer while Windows downloads it's Updates, extra unwanted programs, etc.   With Linux, you don't have to bother with running/maintaining Virus programs.  You don' t have to run/maintain Malware programs.  :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

" you don't have to bother with running/maintaining Virus programs.  You don' t have to run/maintain Malware programs.  :-)"

I do understand. But I don't think of malware and viruses. They have been running successfully in the background for me for years.

My updates don't seem that much different on my windows machines from my linux machines, EXCEPT for when Win10 does an upgrade to the new release number. But my linux OS's also do upgrades to the next release, tho they do seem less intrusive.

But getting back to my main point, if Mrs Jason has a win10 machine she is comfortable with, why go to the trouble to get the same stuff on a linux install ?

Jason

I would have thought after all these years, I wouldn't have to justify using Linux to a PLUG member. So I'm not going to. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"I would have thought after all these years, I wouldn't have to justify using Linux to a PLUG member. So I'm not going to. :)"

You're right. I apologize. I forgot Mrs Jason was a PLUG member and should choose a Linux system rather than staying with Windows.  :)

Jason

Sheesh. Why are you trying to yank my chain, Buster? She wants to try something new.

Don't you do that all the time when you try a new Linux distro every other week? I'm sure it'd be more comfortable for you to just stick with Windows.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

" trying to yank my chain, Buster?"

Moi? Would I ever, ever do that Jason?