• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Notifications and direct email doesn't appear to be working

Started by Jason, June 16, 2020, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

There's another bug I'm trying to figure out or rather two bugs, really, but they likely have the same cause.

At present, email notifications about new posts or replies don't appear to be going out. If you've clicked on the notify function for a board and you're not getting an email to tell you about a post, this is why. If you are getting notifications, pop me a message to let me know.

The other problem is that you can't email members directly from the forum (under their profile). You can, however, still send them a message. It's just the email function that is broken.

According to our LUG motto, these broken fuctions do mean that I'm trying hard enough, so there's that. I'll fix these bugs soon enough; don't you worry your little heads. :)  Or maybe I won't. It's not looking good right now.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

I despair of ever fixing this issue with email. I didn't have to install a mail server to get this working before. But it looks like I may have to this time around. You're not supposed to install more programs than you need on a server. Every program is a possible vector for attack and needs to be updated. It also means more resources are required.

I have two questions:

1. How many of you actually email each other? I don't mean sending a personal message using My Messages at the top or using the icon below the profile on a post. That should be working.

2. How many of you were getting notifications to let you know of new posts or replies to posts?

3. The third question is how many of you need to use the password retrieval function (i.e. when you forgot your password)? Don't be shy. If you forget, you can always send me an email and I can reset your password for you.

I ask because if nobody were using these features, then I'm not going to expend any more effort on fixing the issues with them.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

I haven't fixed this issue but hopefully will get it done over the winter with any luck.